B. Smithi Price Question

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a grown mexican redknee for sale at the local petshop, about 5.5 inch legspan and I'm almost positive it's a female. She's up for 120$ but I can work them down to 100$, as she's not terribly friendly and has been there for over a year.

Is that a good price?

I know, silly question, but I want to be sure before I get her.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Katronmaster said:
There is a grown mexican redknee for sale at the local petshop, about 5.5 inch legspan and I'm almost positive it's a female. She's up for 120$ but I can work them down to 100$, as she's not terribly friendly and has been there for over a year.

Is that a good price?

I know, silly question, but I want to be sure before I get her.
Yes, at 5.5 inches I'd say it's a fairly reasonable price. I don't know if I would handle a B. Smithi very often if it were me. Even if it was docile. A lot of people are allergic to their urticating hairs. I imagine I would be one of them.

Niloticus

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think for a female B. smithi, $100 is a reasonable price ! for a male, half that price.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright, thank you both!

I still may be able to work them down a bit, half the staff is terrified of her, so they're most egar to be rid of the fuzzy red and black nuisance.

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go for it, i talked a pet store down to half price on my P. Murinus.

Just make the points that
A) No one working the store really wants to keep this thing around because of its temper
B) No one else but you is willing to buy it
C) Tell them flat out i'll walk out of here today with this tarantula for $70 and you'll never have to deal with it again. Anything more than $70 and ill leave today with 50 cents worth of crickets.

thats exactly what i did and it worked.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think $100 is a very good price for a female that size. I have NEVER been bit by a redknee and have handled them often. They are setae flickers, but not prone to bite. I have one that doesn't even flick.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thats a good price, do you know how old? Petco sells B. smithi for same price and they are juvenille mostly.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No one there knows her age, she's been there longer than any of the employees. I know she's grown, or very close to it.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, why do you believe it is a female? Do you know how to check? It doesn't sound like there is anyone really knowledgeable at the store either. You might want to verify that it is a female before you get it. At any rate, $100 for an adult female B. smithi is a fair price.

Also, it is impossible to determine a tarantula's age unless you actually hatched it from an egg sac or have that information. Otherwise, there is no way of knowing how old it is.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Months ago there was an employee there who actually knew what he was doing, and happened to be a spider breeder. He's the one who said it was a female, so really I'm just going off his word. But he's the same fellow who's sexed many Ts in my collection and even warned me against buying a rosie they had there because it was a mature male without much longer left.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Katronmaster said:
Months ago there was an employee there who actually knew what he was doing, and happened to be a spider breeder. He's the one who said it was a female, so really I'm just going off his word. But he's the same fellow who's sexed many Ts in my collection and even warned me against buying a rosie they had there because it was a mature male without much longer left.
Given that and that you trust this person, I would say it sounds fairly good that it is a female.