B. smithi - post molt eating?

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, I'm sure that paranoia is setting in here, but my juv female smithi molted two weeks ago. She's now nudging the 4" mark. Unlike previous molt events with her where she's turned into an absolute eating machine, she seems quite lethargic (almost pre-molt like), and has taken only two crickets. Outwardly, she looks great....very healthy, she's just never acted this way before. The crix I got her came from an alternative pet store to the one's she has been raised on, but I cant believe that it's her being "fussy" about her food.

Anyone here come across this behavioural change post a molt event?

Still, on the brighter side, my now, not so teeny tiny B. vagans is making up for her cousin :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does she/he have water? Molting has a tendency to dehydrate a spider

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does she/he have water? Molting has a tendency to dehydrate a spider
Geez...I should be ashamed of myself. Having taken much care that she would be OK after the molt, I overlooked the water situation. sure enough, after 15 mins she was drinking away. Seems a lot more perky now. Lesson learnt! Thanks Brian.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hehe I learned that lesson myself a long time ago. Usually if they arent too interested in food after a molt it is usually a sign that they need water. Anyway that is what my experience has been ;)