B.smithi on top

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I got my 3" B. smithi yesterday (healthy, calm, and simply gorgeous) and put her in her new 10-gallon tank. The problem is that before she came, I didn't fill the substrate enough, so I made a note to fix that the next day.
Uh oh.
She has been hanging upside-down walking around the mesh top all night. It's WAY too high of a fall for her, and I'm freaking out so much. I can't lift the top of the terrarium, because the lid is a sliding top, so she'd fall if I tried that. I think it's because the substrate is too moist, but I can't try and empty out the water dish or anything, so all I could do was turn off the heat pad. She's been up there all night in the same position (very close to the display edge, so even barely sliding the top and she'd fall).
So my question is, what can I do to ensure that she won't fall and hurt herself? Or is there nothing I can do?
If she ever gets down, would it be safe to wrap the mesh top with Glad or Saran Wrap with holes in the middle so that she won't get caught in mesh?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can't partially open it and reach in and get her? If you can't do that, use a soft brush to gentley touch the T's feet with it and you may be able to get her to move down the glass. Try those and let us know.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Can't take off the lid. Like I said, it slides and she's by the edge. I get the feeling she's gonna be a little pest hehe. xD
I just got an idea; I'm going to try and tilt the tank and nudge her to climb down a more diagonal wall. Less of a chance of falling I suppose. Wish me luck. :eek:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know she's pretty new and it'll take her time (could be a couple of weeks but not likely) to get settled in and stop climbing so much. Until then, you'll have to keep a closs eye on her.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Tried tilting the tank, but all that did was cause the water dish to spill all over the tank. :mad: Nudging with the brush does nothing, she's stubborn. I guess all I can do is hope she at least moves away from the edge so I can open the tank at least a little bit.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This happens when you put a T into a new inclosure...... Just slowly slide the lid and she will walke away from the edge as you are opening it. Then slide your hand in when it can fit and encourager her down from the top. Place her near and or into her hide.... and block her in and let her have a chance to settle down. Then remove whatever you use to block her and let you resume exploring her new tank.
This seems to work for me with my new arrivals.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would be real careful with opening the lid. Keep a close eye on her legs. They have nonretractable hooks so as you nudge the door open, give her a chance to get the feet loose.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
This happens when you put a T into a new inclosure...... Just slowly slide the lid and she will walke away from the edge as you are opening it. Then slide your hand in when it can fit and encourager her down from the top. Place her near and or into her hide.... and block her in and let her have a chance to settle down. Then remove whatever you use to block her and let you resume exploring her new tank.
This seems to work for me with my new arrivals.
Alright, thanks so much. :worship: I'm afraid to slide the lid though, she's literally right next to the edge, so the slightest movement and she might fall. I'll try and nudge her away a little.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You will be fine..... just be slow with the lid and things will be just fine. Go do that now and let us know how it went.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
OH NO. I managed to get her on the edge, but the tank slipped a little and and she fell about 4" to the ground and walked into her shelter. I'm so STUPID!!! :eek:
I'm about to cry. How do I check to see if she's okay? =(

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Relax and good job. If she walked to her shelter she's fine. A 3 inche fall is nothing to worry about.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Relax and good job. If she walked to her shelter she's fine. A 3 inche fall is nothing to worry about.
Had to edit that last post. It was 4. :wall:
Well now that she's down, I guess I'd better get rid of some of that water now...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok, I would not close off the mesh at the top. You need some ventalation to keep things dry and mold free. I would raise the substate level or I would just keep it as is and she'll calm down before long and want to stay in her hide and you won't have to worry about it. All of us have been through this and just so long as your careful, she's going to be fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a learning process.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
ok, I would not close off the mesh at the top. You need some ventalation to keep things dry and mold free. I would just keep at it and she'll calm down before long and want to stay in her hide and you won't have to worry about it. All of us have been through this and just so long as your careful, she's going to be fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a learning process.
Thanks for all your help. :) I definitely have a case of firsttimeTowner-itis. xD

Covered the wet peat moss with new dry substrate and emptied the water dish a little. Poor girl, she must be terrified.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I bet your in worse shape than she is.;)
She's not even doing anything and she's stressing me out more than any puppy I've ever had. She's good. {D

Didn't see any clear liquid on her abdomen after she fell, so I assume she's fine. Whew. :8o

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She should be fine...... Just leave her be now..... She may wander back up onto the lid but its not a big deal eventually she will settle down and go back to being a pet rock.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If she's 3", then the dirt should be high enough that it's only about 3" to the ceiling. Then she can crawl all she wants and should be fine. :D

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why not invest in a regular top that doesn't slide off? it will definately make life easier and it's only $7.

great looking spider.