B. smithi now B. homorii?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
My only confusion relates to B.hamorii. Does this exist in the hobby (pre-change). It was listed in 1997.
I don't believe so, I could be wrong. I have never heard of hamorii in the hobby before this revision. If they were ever exported under that name, I'm gonna guess they were quickly relabeled smithi by hobbyists/dealers.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
wouldn't it have just been simpler to change annitha to hamorii instead of smithi to hamorii and then annatha to smithi?
It's not about being easy, it's about being right... B. annitha are the same as the orginal smithi described. B. annitha are not the same as the original B. hamorii described. The hobby smithi is not the same as the original smithi described. The hobby smithi are the same as the original B. hamorii described. This is why annitha will never be labeled hamorii but the hobby smithi will because they are one in the same.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Agreed, and as stated the direct source Jorge Mendoza has cleared up the miss identification of 1 Brachypelma specie and renamed another. His abstract papers have been accepted/approved and he said he is waiting for the publication. What the hobby has always known to be Brachypelma smithi, is and has always been, what we have termed Brachypelma annitha. Therefore, the annitha name will not be valid and what was called annitha will be called Brachypelma smithi as it was originally described.

So what happens with what was formerly known as smithi will now be called Brachypelma hamorii. Why hamorii is a good questions and to see if there was any trace of identification previously that led to the placement.

I truly eagerly anticipate and look foward to receiving the import of pure blood lines in the various Brachy specimens coming in a few weeks direct from him.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
I'm so new to this, but this is so interesting to learn! I'm just a amatuer college student with a huge passion for the T hobby. I'm going to try do some personal research on this topic! thanks to y'all for the information so far :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
The paper with the nomenclature changes and their justifications hasn't been published yet therefore wouldn't be updated on the World Spider Catalog or anywhere else other than pet forums. You are 100% correct in that no one should be updating labels until the paper is actually published. This is what irritates the crap out of me about some involved in the pet trade. Someone gets information from someone else and repeats it all over the place online with nothing published to back it up. There is a reason researchers don't discuss their work before it is published.
Another annoying thing which this researcher does, is release names before publication, resulting in this.