B. smithi now B. homorii?

Melamii

Arachnopeon
So, I was getting my pre-order list ready for the upcoming Toronto Expo, and noticed on the tarantula suppliers list that a couple of the names have changed. First B.smithi is now B. homorii, and B. annitha is now B. smithi. Is this official?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Nothing has been published yet. It has apparently been accepted, but no publication yet. Until it has been published, the old names should be used.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And actually, even what the OP said is wrong as I understand it. Which is why we shouldn't do anything until publication.

B. smithi is now B. homorii
B. homorii is now B. smithi
B. annitha will be changed as well, but I forgot to what exactly.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Interesting. I have not heard anything about that. Last I heard, B. annitha and B. smithi were two distinct species. I quick search on Google turned up the same information. Anyone care to correct/confirm my information?
The paper with the nomenclature changes and their justifications hasn't been published yet therefore wouldn't be updated on the World Spider Catalog or anywhere else other than pet forums. You are 100% correct in that no one should be updating labels until the paper is actually published. This is what irritates the crap out of me about some involved in the pet trade. Someone gets information from someone else and repeats it all over the place online with nothing published to back it up. There is a reason researchers don't discuss their work before it is published.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i just wish they made new species names instead of switching some of the same ones to different species. thats going to be annoying getting used to.
also @Melamii youre not really supposed to post your collection in your signature, theres a place for it on your profile page.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4433.PNG Jorge himself has already publicly posted images between the hobby annitha and smithi referring them only as B. smithi and B. hamorii.

Here is an example when he sent me a message through Facebook. The species on this photo was annitha now smithi, papers may not be published but it will happen.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The paper with the nomenclature changes and their justifications hasn't been published yet therefore wouldn't be updated on the World Spider Catalog or anywhere else other than pet forums. You are 100% correct in that no one should be updating labels until the paper is actually published. This is what irritates the crap out of me about some involved in the pet trade. Someone gets information from someone else and repeats it all over the place online with nothing published to back it up. There is a reason researchers don't discuss their work before it is published.
@AphonopelmaTX fortunetly in this case Jorge has publicly made changes regardless of the papers been pucblished.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The species on this photo was annitha now smithi, papers may not be published but it will happen.
I can't speak for others, but I completely believe that they will be. In fact, my specimens have notes on their enclosures to remind me to keep checking for a publication. But this thread exemplifies why nothing should be adopted preemptively. It opens a lot of room for unintentional cross breeding while we wait for a paper to come out.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't speak for others, but I completely believe that they will be. In fact, my specimens have notes on their enclosures to remind me to keep checking for a publication. But this thread exemplifies why nothing should be adopted preemptively. It opens a lot of room for unintentional cross breeding while we wait for a paper to come out.
I understand but it doesn't change the fact that on Facebook AB Jorge has posted the images and classify the two species by their new giving new that was intended to be in the first place.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I understand but it doesn't change the fact that on Facebook AB Jorge has posted the images and classify the two species by their new giving new that was intended to be in the first place.
Agreed, but that does not make it official. In fact, apparently myself and the OP have even been spelling "homorii" incorrectly because there is no publication to fall back on.

Just because a scientist posts it does not make it true. It needs to be reviewed... which it apparently already has been, but we have no proof.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreed, but that does not make it official. In fact, apparently myself and the OP have even been spelling "homorii" incorrectly because there is no publication to fall back on.

Just because a scientist posts it does not make it true. It needs to be reviewed... which it apparently already has been, but we have no proof.
Haha! Didn't realise you guys were spelling it wrong. Yeah it's B. hamorii.

I don't think Jorge cared to much of waiting for his papers to get published.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Just part of the hobby I guess... I guess i'm glad to see scientific progress being made (if indeed that is what it is )!