B smithi mouth pic...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here ya go Jacen. I'll try to get one with better contrast tonight but it was a bit tough holding her in one hand and working the camera with the other. enjoy

Phil

Last edited:

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a pic of the mouth of my dearly departed (I guess, haven't heard any more from the guy who's trying to mate him:mad: ) male Smithi

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great shot Tito.

That's the kind of shot I was going for but only having 2 hands kind of screwed me up. :) Nonetheless great shot man.

Phil

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow those are amazing. I was totally thinking you would force them up onto the glass and then shoot through the glass of their cage. This is much better. Thanks so much. If you have more please post them.

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phillip-

When you took that first picture, are you just holding it on its cephalothorax? Never tried that, I thought it would get mad at me and decide to have another dinner. :?

-LT

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I'm holding it by the ceph.

As I am also doing in my much better pic that I'll post as soon as this stupid movie clip which is taking forever to load gets done. :) On the picking them up thing some don't seem to mind it where some of them freak out when you try it. Once you get them picked up though they just kind of space out and freeze as long as their feet don't touch anything. It's almost as if their brain ( if you can call it that ) shuts down due to a situation that they don't know how to deal with.

Phil

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Yes I'm holding it by the ceph.

Originally posted by Phillip
As I am also doing in my much better pic that I'll post as soon as this stupid movie clip which is taking forever to load gets done. :) On the picking them up thing some don't seem to mind it where some of them freak out when you try it. Once you get them picked up though they just kind of space out and freeze as long as their feet don't touch anything. It's almost as if their brain ( if you can call it that ) shuts down due to a situation that they don't know how to deal with.

Phil
Sorry for the dumb question, but what happens if something touches it's feet? Does it latch on and scramble, or what?
Thanks for your help.

-LT

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that's more like it..pic...

Yup easier by a long shot when you have another set of hands for the camera. Oddly enough the Wifester chose the camera operation and not the spider holding in this one. Go figure. :)

And your question is not at all dumb since if you haven't tried it before how could you know. When something touches the feet while they're held like this they try to grab it and hang on for dear life to get loose from whatever is holding them. Now you have to keep in mind that this is most of and not all the time as I have a few that just don't seem to care what you do to them and I can flip them over and touch any part of them. It really just depends on the spider.

Enjoy the better pic as the 1st one sucks comparitively.

Phil

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your help Phillip. Great picture, too. I'll have see what my B. smithi thinks about ceph handling.