B. Smithi Molt

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Hey this is my first T, and I seem to have had some luck :) My B. Smithi, Blaze, is molting and he has made a perfect window for me to see his molt every step of the day. I was just wondering what the best thing to do for him would be, and I will post pics as he goes from pre-molt to post-molt.

Thanks!;P

Attachments

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey this is my first T, and I seem to have had some luck :) My B. Smithi, Blaze, is molting and he has made a perfect window for me to see his molt every step of the day. I was just wondering what the best thing to do for him would be, and I will post pics as he goes from pre-molt to post-molt.

Thanks!;P
Leave it alone, just watch and admire the process. It will be fine without any help from you. Wait a week to try and feed it and you should be good to go! Congrats! :D

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Leave it alone, just watch and admire the process. It will be fine without any help from you. Wait a week to try and feed it and you should be good to go! Congrats! :D
Thank you :D Im proud of my little guy, and i can't wait to post more pics

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I have a B. Emilia and it never burrows. I've had it for about 1 1/2 months. I was just wondering if this species is notorious for not burrowing?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a B. Emilia and it never burrows. I've had it for about 1 1/2 months. I was just wondering if this species is notorious for not burrowing?
i have not kept emilia (yet), but all of my Brachypelma spp. have burrowed if given enough sub, especially as slings (i currently have smithi, boehmei, vagans and albo). might just be acclimation, might be a lot of other things as well.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I have it on 100% peat. Its about 3'' deep. My T is about 2''.

I'm pretty sure its pre molt because it's bald spot has went from pink to black in a matter of days.(Didn't know if that was relavent)

lordddelgado

Arachnopeon
Hello, May I ask, I bough a B. Emilia yesturday, I transferred her to a new container, Im Pretty sure she is in premolt because of the balding spot, swelling of the abdomen & pink to black skin, when I put her beside her hide she stays there and not moving at all like a rock, when I poke her she respond like she's saying WTF, but not moving in other area, shes still on that spot until now, my other tarantula does not behave like this, is my emilia sick?

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Hello, May I ask, I bough a B. Emilia yesturday, I transferred her to a new container, Im Pretty sure she is in premolt because of the balding spot, swelling of the abdomen & pink to black skin, when I put her beside her hide she stays there and not moving at all like a rock, when I poke her she respond like she's saying WTF, but not moving in other area, shes still on that spot until now, my other tarantula does not behave like this, is my emilia sick?
I was told that they are basically pet rocks. Sounds like she is in premolt like mine. From what I understand, you need to elevate the humidity. Good luck and keep us posted as will I. We will see who's molts first

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you need to elevate the humidity.
I never boost humidity for my Brachys (except in the case of very tiny slings). Besides that they are a dry-loving genus, internal humidity is more important than environmental humidity during a molt. Slings get most of this humidity from their food. Any larger, and I provide water dishes.

If it is acting "strange" or lethargic, it could be due to:

1) Premolt behavior
2) Happy Brachys are not particularly active
3) Newly rehoused Ts tend to act funnier than the usual status quo. ;)

Don't worry, and don't poke it.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, for one, STOP bothering her!

You're not doing her any good 'poking' her.

Be patient. It's likely she's getting ready to molt.