B smithi molt question

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Ok.... Wierd situation. My 3/4" redknee is in premolt. It's been about 4 weeks now. First off, I didn't really notice her abdomen darkening. But her adult colors have started fading in on her legs. Is that normal with some specimens? Second, she lost her ability to climb very good. But when I went to mist her last, she was climbing up the enclosure. Now I've noticed her abdomen is even pinker than before and the few hairs she has are lighter (her adult colors are still obvious on the legs). Could the lighter abdomen combined with her new-found climbing abilities mean the molt is close? Any input is appreciated!

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Ok.... Wierd situation. My 3/4" redknee is in premolt. It's been about 4 weeks now. First off, I didn't really notice her abdomen darkening. But her adult colors have started fading in on her legs. Is that normal with some specimens? Second, she lost her ability to climb very good. But when I went to mist her last, she was climbing up the enclosure. Now I've noticed her abdomen is even pinker than before and the few hairs she has are lighter (her adult colors are still obvious on the legs). Could the lighter abdomen combined with her new-found climbing abilities mean the molt is close? Any input is appreciated!
I would say that molting is not as close as you may think it is. I'm guessing that you're saying it's been in pre-molt because it stopped eating 4 weeks ago. My 2.75" smithi stopped eating 6 weeks ago, but it regularly goes on long fasts - it's still a fat little spider.

For pre-molt, you just about have to see the abdomen darkening (which you say you haven't really noticed). On the flip side, the fading color is another little indicator that the spider is getting closer to a molt, but certainly not a good time indicator. The loss of climbing ability is another good pre-molt indicator.

The odd thing is that you're saying it can climb again, and the colors have basically reset . . . usually, that only happens "after" a molt.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I would say that molting is not as close as you may think it is. I'm guessing that you're saying it's been in pre-molt because it stopped eating 4 weeks ago. My 2.75" smithi stopped eating 6 weeks ago, but it regularly goes on long fasts - it's still a fat little spider.

For pre-molt, you just about have to see the abdomen darkening (which you say you haven't really noticed). On the flip side, the fading color is another little indicator that the spider is getting closer to a molt, but certainly not a good time indicator. The loss of climbing ability is another good pre-molt indicator.

The odd thing is that you're saying it can climb again, and the colors have basically reset . . . usually, that only happens "after" a molt.
I should probably explain. I noticed ever since I got her that her legs are getting darker, with black and orange slowly showing. There has been slight darkening of the abdomen, but mainly a little cross. I noticed this morning that her little tuft of black hair is smaller, too. The climbing and everything else completely perplexes me tho

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not climbing can be a sign.

The darkening you're looking for is the skin color on the abdomen. There are also other signs, but this one is pretty easy to see. Excessive webbing, etc. will usually happen just before the molt takes place.

Also, are you saying 3/4" or 3 or 4"?