B. Smithi home to large?

Spider45

Arachnopeon
Ok,
My first post, I just started collecting T's and have a question on a B. Smithi sling (approx 1") that I got from a pet store a few days ago. They had it in a plastic container that you normally find a Betta fish in. I transfered it to a Mini Critter Keeper (approx 6"x3"), but it seems kinda freaked out, and won't eat. Should I put it back in it's original container so it feels more secure? or should I just leave it in the Critter Keeper and not feed it for awhile until it gets use to its new home.

Thanks, Jim

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Small keeper might be a bit big. When they are slings I don't normally move them out of a vial till they seem a bit cramped, when that happens they move up to a container twice the size it was in. And B. Smithi are slow growers so as long as her abdomen is not shrinking or wrinkled she should be fine.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine usually are freaked out for a while after a change of housing. Takes time for them to settle in. I would say a small kritter keeper would be fine for a one inch spider.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree with Ryan here. A KK is way more room than a 1" sling needs. If you don't want to keep it in a vial i would put it back in it's store container or a cube with holes for ventilation. i think they find their prey a lot easier in smaller quarters and you don't tend to lose track of them when they start to burrow as well.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At 1" it can escape in between the slits at the top of a Kritter Keeper. Keep it in a vial.