B.smithi-HELP......

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
My smithi has not eaten a crick since December, i recieved it around the same time as Gail did, and hers moulted first, and i thought they would moult around the same time, but noo! The other day i was holding her for the first time, and it dropped off my hand and fell! I thought it died but it seems alright now! Any help or info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

James

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it isn't in premolt, I'd say it's just some sort of fast. My avic has, as I'm sure everyone knows by now, not eaten a thing since mid November or so, and she isn't in premolt.
As for falling off, we don't see them as very bright when they walk to the edge of something and, as if totally oblivious, just keep walking, but they still do it :)

Seath

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
My smithi has not eaten a crick since December,
James, I have a pair of B. smithi's both around 3in. , and both have been kind of fasting since around Dec. has well ( one of them has taken one cricket the other none). I havent worried about it. I still offer a cricket to each of them once a week, and end up taking it out the next day. From what I have gathered is that they dont move much, and in turn havent been using much energy to need replace by eating, a kind of hibernation if you will. Has long has their 'rump' seems plump I wouldn't worry. Just make sure there is water available.

Jason

edit: and has far has I can tell, neither is in premolt

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
My smithi has not eaten a crick since December, i recieved it around the same time as Gail did, and hers moulted first, and i thought they would moult around the same time, but noo! The other day i was holding her for the first time, and it dropped off my hand and fell! I thought it died but it seems alright now! Any help or info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

James
James, I have 12 smithis from 3" up to 5" or so.........most of them are very hearty eaters, mine are kept in my herp/invert room where it has highs of around the low 80's in the winter, and lows in the evening of middle 70's. what temps are you keeping yours at?
also, when you handle your t's I would recommend sitting on a carpeted floor so if they do a runner and fly off from your hand they will land on something somewhat soft and not from a great height.
Ed

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Re: Re: B.smithi-HELP......

Originally posted by atavuss
James, I have 12 smithis from 3" up to 5" or so.........most of them are very hearty eaters, mine are kept in my herp/invert room where it has highs of around the low 80's in the winter, and lows in the evening of middle 70's. what temps are you keeping yours at?
also, when you handle your t's I would recommend sitting on a carpeted floor so if they do a runner and fly off from your hand they will land on something somewhat soft and not from a great height.
Ed
I keep mine at around 70 to 75!

Thanks for the info guys!

James

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
James, a lot of Ts will fast durring the winter unless you heat the room significantly. I just figure it's a good way to save money on crickets :)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even though the temperature stays the same inside ?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
James,
Did your and Gails T's come from the same eggsac? If so, it could be a sign that you got a female, since males mature faster..
Just a thought..

Ernie

Seath

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Vys
Even though the temperature stays the same inside ?
I would wager there are other triggers aside from tempture that a T could figure what season it is. And would make it think it was time to hibernate. Just because it is locked in an container in our home protected from the cold, wouldn't change the built in 'coding' to slow down activity and conseve energy due to the climate/season. My smithi's enclosures never drop below 72, yet they are choosing not to eat. And all my other T's are eating just fine, just the redknee's not eating..

Jason

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
James,
Did your and Gails T's come from the same eggsac? If so, it could be a sign that you got a female, since males mature faster..
Just a thought..

Ernie
They sure did! got them both from kelly swift! That will be awsome if it turns out female!

James