B Smithi enclosure

DurriaL

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I have recently purchased my first T (B Smithi). I have just finished the enclosure and I'm open to any suggestions on improvement for the little guy.

I lightly misted the substrate as I know they prefer their habitat to be more on the dry side.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hello all,

I have recently purchased my first T (B Smithi). I have just finished the enclosure and I'm open to any suggestions on improvement for the little guy.

I lightly misted the substrate as I know they prefer their habitat to be more on the dry side.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Hi. Welcome. Note that any Brachy doesn't want or need misting or damp substrate. You'll drive your little guy crazy.
Also get rid of the rocks. They'll hold bacteria. Just a plain old water dish. Great that you have a water dish! As you might know, Ts don't drown. And if crics get in the dish, oh well...just shoo them out.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
"I misted because i know they like it dry" :banghead:
Read that back and think about it
You're gonna be fine welcome to the hobby and always offer a water dish. Otherwise for your smithi dry substrate is preferred (by the tarantula)

DurriaL

Arachnopeon
"I misted because i know they like it dry" :banghead:
Read that back and think about it
You're gonna be fine welcome to the hobby and always offer a water dish. Otherwise for your smithi dry substrate is preferred (by the tarantula)

I was told by the breeder to lightly mist as they didn't like too much moisture. Either way thank you for the tips, I will no longer mist the enclosure.

DurriaL

Arachnopeon
Hi. Welcome. Note that any Brachy doesn't want or need misting or damp substrate. You'll drive your little guy crazy.
Also get rid of the rocks. They'll hold bacteria. Just a plain old water dish. Great that you have a water dish! As you might know, Ts don't drown. And if crics get in the dish, oh well...just shoo them out.
Thank you, I removed the rocks in the dish. I appreciate the tip.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a B.smithi girl. Love her. Dry substrate, a hide and a water dish.

They're stunning T's and them being really easy to care far is a bonus.

DurriaL

Arachnopeon
I have a B.smithi girl. Love her. Dry substrate, a hide and a water dish.

They're stunning T's and them being really easy to care far is a bonus.
When should I introduce a hide for my B Smithi?
I was thinking about doing it soon but I don't want to crowd the enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
Normally I would say, as soon as the enclosure allows, but that's a huge sling enclosure, you could put 3 hides in there and not crowd it. I'd personally have that in a condiment cup at that size.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The hide only needs to be small and simple like a section of a cardboard loo roll tube buried a little in the sub. It won't take a lot of room up and will just offer it somewhere it get away from things if it wants too.

cold blood

Staff member
The hide only needs to be small and simple like a section of a cardboard loo roll tube buried a little in the sub. It won't take a lot of room up and will just offer it somewhere it get away from things if it wants too.
Cardboard? Did you just suggest cardboard as a hide?? lmao, don't use things that will break down, absorb moisture and break down as a hide.

A small piece of wood, pvc pipe that's been bisected or even a plastic leaf would all be good hides....basin is right though, it doesn't need to be much, just something simple to get under.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Cardboard? Did you just suggest cardboard as a hide?? lmao, don't use things that will break down, absorb moisture and break down as a hide.

A small piece of wood, pvc pipe that's been bisected or even a plastic leaf would all be good hides....basin is right though, it doesn't need to be much, just something simple to get under.
I always use suitable size pieces of cork bark but seeing as a cardboard tube will be handy I didn't see the harm to be honest. Especially seeing as the substrate is dry so it won't parish or get wet.

Can't see it being any different to a piece of cork bark apart from it won't look as aesthetically pleasing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I always use suitable size pieces of cork bark but seeing as a cardboard tube will be handy I didn't see the harm to be honest. Especially seeing as the substrate is dry so it won't parish or get wet.

Can't see it being any different to a piece of cork bark apart from it won't look as aesthetically pleasing.
Cardboard is a man made material, cork bark is natural. And T's knows better :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
Cardboard is a man made material, cork bark is natural. And T's knows better :-s
Of course.

Still can't see a problem putting a section of cardboard tube in a dry enclosure for a little sling hide.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Of course.

Still can't see a problem putting a section of cardboard tube in a dry enclosure for a little sling hide.
Yup. Technically. But the poor slings deserve better, IMO. It's like taking a poop in Trump Tower into an alabaster and Italian Carrara marble made clean bathroom, or have one into a filthy pub like in "Trainspotting" movie :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yup. Technically. But the poor slings deserve better, IMO. It's like taking a poop in Trump Plaza into an alabaster and Italian Carrara marble made clean bathroom, or have one into a filthy pub like in "Trainspotting" movie :-s
Sometimes you just want a greasy burger instead of a rare steak.