B. smithi DEAD?!?!? HELP!

mldmld5

Arachnopeon
i noticed yesterday my b. smithi was really sluggish but thought it was just another day she does that. today i noticed she still hadnt moved from her same spot last night...she just ate 4 days ago and i put new crickets in yesterday i woke up and half her leg looked like it was chewed off..... i was thinking she's molting but she hasnt moved at all not even to turn over on her back....what should i do here's a pic ....notice her two front legs..... http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/mdavis01/IMAGE_00113.jpg copy and paste the link

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats quite a death curl there. I think it's dead.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's your picture for you, hope you don't mind me tagging it up for you:

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like a Brachypelma smithi to me, unless there's some other B. smithi I don't know about.

But whatever it is, it doesn't look good. I would get it off that nasty bark ASAP and put it into a small tupperware bowl with moist paper towels and set it in a moderately warm location (70-75*F) and see if it perks up over the next few hours.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

mldmld5

Arachnopeon
i just got it last monday as a graduation gift cuz i also have a t. blondi and h. lividium i was waiting for a chance to get it into a 20 gallon tank because the subtrate it come with was full of dead cricket leftovers. i just handled it 2 days ago.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, that is the "death curl," the most dreaded position a tarantula could ever be in. It wouldn't molt in that positive, so you can rule that out. If it's still alive (trying gently proding it with a chopstick or something long just in case it strikes out at you), carefully coax it into an ICU-a cage which is clean and make sure it has access to fresh water. It may be: dehydrated? sick? Who knows! That's my advice anyway. Hope that helps!

I do agree to with whoever said that doesn't look like a Brachypelma smithi, because well, it just doesn't. Too gray with no red knees whatsoever. So, if it does survive then thank goodness. Your next order of business should be to find out just which species of tarantula it really is.

Good luck!

mldmld5

Arachnopeon
yea i just found that out when i called the pet store and the man said they've never had mexican red knees in their store so the salesman lied i hope he didnt lie on the price either cuz there probably was a big price difference. i dont think its gonna make it its really not moving at all... i placed in into a tupperware thing with wet paper towels is that enough?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All you can really do now is leave it alone and wait to see if it improves. :(

If it were me, I would take it back to the store and get your money back:

A) It's not a B. smithi, it doesn't look anything like one, which is what you paid for..
B) No tarantula should die within a few days of purchase ideally..

Pet store inverts really aren't that ideal of a situation anyway, some are, most aren't in my experience.

- They are outrageously expensive..
- The animals in their care aren't really cared for to the best of their abilities..
- Their advice on husbandry is questionable..(as is the case with MOST of what they sell)
- No telling where their inverts came from or what diseases/parasites they may have..

Your best bet is to buy from some of the great people on this site who breed captive bred specimens, legitimately care for their bugs and give them the best optimum care available, and are more reasonable on prices because they don't have overhead to contend with.

And I really encourage you to buy "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" by Schultz, it's an awesome book chocked full of information on the varieties of the many tarantulas but also excellent pointers on husbandry and care.

The educated buyer is the one pet stores should watch out for. ;)

mldmld5

Arachnopeon
yup exactly i wouldnt even have bought from them but once again it was a gift and i called and found out they havent had b. smithi's in a while and said they only have 24hr. guarantee's. but the thing is they charged the person who bought it 20$ more for a rose hair. so ill take it back tomorrow and at least get the 20$ they overcharged. I think its dead but thats ok i ordered another h. lividium adult female thats due to come in in a couple of days

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like a $29.95 A. seemani Costa Rican Zebra tarantula from Petco.

BEst i can tell from that pic

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well I'm sorry its either dead, or dying. But I wish you all the best of luck on your next purchase, even if it is a pet hole. ;)