B smithi could be hurt or sick. Help

Laurenerwin

Arachnopeon
My trantula is not dead
Brachypelma smithi juvenile
He seems to be in pain or possibly not healing well after his molt little more then two weeks ago
We have been watching very closely, all it will do is barely twitch or move his legs like it wants to get up and walk but just can't.
I've gave him plenty of hydration
Found him curled up on its back thinking was dead but then noticed he was still moving it's legs.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Try and get some pics of the smithi and it's enclosure. Can't really give an opinion of what's wrong without them

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Needs way more substrate, the gap between the top of the substrate should be no more than 2x the DLS of the T and preferably shouldn't be more than 1.5x. It could have fallen and hurt itself.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've gave him plenty of hydration
How? Are you misting the cage? This is an arid species - offer absolutely no extra humidity other than the water dish.

Ok here are a few pics
Whoa... okay, here we go. Have you taken the hide out of that enclosure, or did you stick an animal in a cage with nowhere to hide? That enclosure offers much, much too high of a drop. The spider was likely wandering looking for somewhere to hide, fell, and sustained some injury from it. A terrestrial species should never have more than 2x diagonal leg span from the floor to the ceiling. Your spider is in a full-on death curl. There may be not much you can do at this point.

Laurenerwin

Arachnopeon
No I moved him to this new tank to keep a close eye on him about three days ago
Was in a very much smaller tank with the right substrate. I almost was going to rule out a fall cause of the hight I had in the old tank
. I mist every two days
From what I read the Mexican red knee doesn't require to much moisture

Laurenerwin

Arachnopeon
Also he had a hid in the other enclosure
Also has no signs of injur no liquid showing or comming from anywhere on him.
Just seemed like he hasn't healed from his molt

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Misting is unnecessary with a B. smithi, a water dish is sufficient for it's hydration. Pics of the other enclosure would be helpful

Laurenerwin

Arachnopeon
His enclosure was positively never to most..I did a light mist maybe every two days mainly into the water dish. I do not have pics of the old tank have already re homed another t.
I've heard of ts having a wet molt and having a hard time healing.
Could that possibly be it. He's been in this curl with some movement for about two weeks . If he is in a death curl how long will it last till he's gone?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No I moved him to this new tank to keep a close eye on him about three days ago
You moved it just a week and a half after molting? Have you had a spider molt under your care before? For weeks after a molt, they will contort themselves into very strange positions and often look distressed. They are almost always perfectly alright. Three days is more than enough time to have fallen and caused significant internal injury. What exactly prompted you to move the spider?

I mist every two days
From what I read the Mexican red knee doesn't require to much moisture
It's not that this species doesn't need much moisture. It doesn't need any moisture. Zero. A water dish is sufficient. Misting every two days would be excessive for many humid species, let alone an arid species.

Also has no signs of injur no liquid showing or comming from anywhere on him.
Just seemed like he hasn't healed from his molt
Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean it's not injured. Just like with all other animals, internal injuries happen.

At this point, do not move the spider. Leave it be and keep a close eye on it.

Laurenerwin

Arachnopeon
Yes I have 15 trantulas all very well takin care of.
I know all about the molting presses . The t was completely done molting befor he was moved
Just this behavior is something haven't seen

DeanK

Arachnosquire
It may have been done molting but it probably wasn't done hardening. The larger the T the longer it takes to completely harden after a molt, so while it may have appeared to be done molting that's just the beginning of the most vulnerable time for a tarantula

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
How is this T doing? I hope better.

Those pics don't show much hope :(

Each time I see a T with a plump abdomen in a curl like that with so much height for a fall, I isntantly think its an internal issue caused by a fall.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It may have been done molting but it probably wasn't done hardening. The larger the T the longer it takes to completely harden after a molt, so while it may have appeared to be done molting that's just the beginning of the most vulnerable time for a tarantula
@Laurenerwin What DeanK said here is a likely possibility. Moving it could have exacerbated an already existing issue.

Also, no misting for B. smithi at all.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Keep providing it water but not by misting.

I don't think there is much you can do.

I hope it comes through ok