B smithi Climbing

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi guys.

Alright so, I'll get right to it. I am no stranger to tarantulas or their (sometimes relatively weird) antics but one of my girls has me stumped. This B. smithi climbs the walls almost every night. She does not wander much, more like climbs up and sits vertical for however many hours like an avic. Identity crisis ??

Substrate is eco earth. Temps are ambient room temps (well within their tolerance range). Bone dry substrate with a full water dish and a hide buried at an angle. Typical B smithi set up we all agree is optimal for her species.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this kind of oddball specimen ?

I want to stop the climbing but none of the usual causes for it are to blame. It's almost like she just likes to hang on the sides.

Had her for a few months so settling in isn't the issue. Though I have noticed that there's not a lot of webbing. Even my G porteri webbed way more sub than her.

She's around 5" DLS.

Pic attached (note: the sub height isn't as bad as the pic suggests. It's just the angle makes it look too shallow).

I would appreciate any input from anyone who thinks I might have missed something.

Thanks all.

Attachments

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Do you have a hide in that enclosure? I cannot see one on the picture.
He actually said it in 3rd line ;) And if I`m not wrong, it looks like the hide is right behind the spider, but the flash from the cam makes it almost impossible to see:)

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes they just climb for no reason. I had a B. smithi and albiceps that would occasionally do that too even though they used their hides most of the time.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
He actually said it in 3rd line ;) And if I`m not wrong, it looks like the hide is right behind the spider, but the flash from the cam makes it almost impossible to see:)
Ah, you´re right! From now on I will refrain from responding to posts before I´ve had my morning coffee and cigarettes ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes they just climb for no reason. I had a B. smithi and albiceps that would occasionally do that too even though they used their hides most of the time.
Yeah but every night? This one is still sitting vertical now, however many hours later. It's not like stress wall climbing, more just nonchalantly chilling there.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe she would like it a bit more humid? I overflow the waterdish every now and then, and she shows preference for the slightly more humid part of her enclosure. She also likes to sit between/on/under some fake plants.
Or maybe take yours to a psychiatrist, if she's confused about being a terrestrial T...;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I would not worry about it too much. I like the idea of slightly overflowing the dish and seeing what happens. Either way I don't think it's a cause for concern.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My 0.1 A.geniculata loves to do the same but only when pre molt/molting time is near.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Oh you smoke too as well my friend? :)
Yes, I started smoking when I was a 13-14 year old kid. It was quite normal back then, prior to the ban of smoking in cafés, restaurants, trains etc. Nowadays I don´t see kids smoking anymore. It´s probably a good thing, but I don´t plan to quit :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, I started smoking when I was a 13-14 year old kid. It was quite normal back then, prior to the ban of smoking in cafés, restaurants, trains etc. Nowadays I don´t see kids smoking anymore. It´s probably a good thing, but I don´t plan to quit :)
Ah ah same me, same here my friend. In Italy was the rule back then to sell cigarettes to young teens. That was our habit :)
Still today no one cares for real, no matter the laws, it's quite normal to see 14/15 years teens with Campari and cigarettes.

Like I/We (me, bro, friends) did... after the school, in the early '90, always a good drink and a cig. Ah ah imagine three young brats entering into a bar in the US in pure day, ordering cocktails and smoking like nothing, with no one questioning age nor other crap :-s

Good times :angelic:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Haha, well i understand that.. The prices on cigs in Norway are insanely high compaired to Denmark. It is double up the price. :astonished::astonished::D
Many kids smoke here.
True! That´s why I never buy cigarettes in the shops. I know some Polish smugglers that sells cigarettes, beer and vodka. It´s like ordering a pizza, I just call them and tell them how many boxes of cigs and how many litres of beer I want and a guy comes and deliver it at my door :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
True! That´s why I never buy cigarettes in the shops. I know some Polish smugglers that sells cigarettes, beer and vodka. It´s like ordering a pizza, I just call them and tell them how many boxes of cigs and how many litres of beer I want and a guy comes and deliver it at my door :)
Eh eh I know people that did here the same 'service' with Arachnids back then, during the 'Witch Hunt' era.

Marbach... oh Marbach, sweet Germany soil, cradle of T's. Oh Hungary I love you :angelic:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So since I don't smoke I TL;DR this thread lol.

So no cause for concern for my B. smithi avicularia ? :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So since I don't smoke I TL;DR this thread lol.

So no cause for concern for my B. smithi avicularia ? :)
I wouldn't. They are spiders, and spiders loves to climb at the end :)

If the substrate isn't a pool (just for saying, I'm not saying yours is) nor that is too wet, but there's the hide, there's the water dish and everything, no reason for man. I know, witness that is a cause of concern but as I've said I spot sometimes my 'Chaco' and my 'Genic' doing that, usually prior to their pre-molt fasting time.