B. smithi climbing — fall danger?

Temjeito

Arachnopeon
I was surprised my sling was able to climb the sheer surface of his new enclosure. Is he ok up there or is he at risk of harm if he falls? I intentionally kept some space between the substrate and the lid to avoid issues with lifting the lid, but of course at the moment I can’t lift the lid at all.
600703C5-AF33-4FBF-B965-71D6D99D17DF.jpeg

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
The general rule is about 1.5x the leg span between the substrate and the top of the enclosure. At this size, it isn’t really that much of a risk, but larger specimens can definitely injure themselves in a fall

Temjeito

Arachnopeon
The general rule is about 1.5x the leg span between the substrate and the top of the enclosure. At this size, it isn’t really that much of a risk, but larger specimens can definitely injure themselves in a fall
Thanks, that’s comforting. I think I’ll add more substrate just to be safe.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
My B. hamorri did this when I rehoused it to it's new enclosure, checking out it's new surroundings. It even went as far as going upside down on the lid. It did this for the first week or two in it's new home. It's 2.5" so I was worried about it falling. Just make sure the substrate is like what @emartinm28 said and should be fine if there are any falling risks. It will settle down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I’m just a dummy.
I wouldn’t know; I will trust your judgement.

One can always improve by READING about the animals you own before you buy them. It’s a common sense idea that sounds crazy as all hell.

Let me know if that works.