B. Smithi care and info

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
hi i have kept snakes all my life but have now expanded my hobby and have takin an interest in t's. I bought a spider-ling B. Smithi (red knee) and i have it in a little plastic tub that i was givin it in it was the size of a penny or smaller,but now it is nearly three times that is it time to put it into its permanent tank or is it too soon, an if so what size do you recommend i was thinkin maybe a ten gallon whats your thoughts..

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i have kept snakes all my life but have now expanded my hobby and have takin an interest in t's. I bought a spider-ling B. Smithi (red knee) and i have it in a little plastic tub that i was givin it in it was the size of a penny or smaller,but now it is nearly three times that is it time to put it into its permanent tank or is it too soon, an if so what size do you recommend i was thinkin maybe a ten gallon whats your thoughts..
It's not too soon, and a 10 gallon would be a fine size for this species. I usually keep mine in deli cups or jars until they are around 3 inch leg-span, at which time I move them into their "permanent" home. Welcome to the hobby, I think you'll find yourself hooked, like most of us here, with an ever-expanding collection soon to come!

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
well i have actually bought three B. Smithi all of the same clutch and i feel there is many more t's to come i find them fascinating and cannot wait to see them grow
in your view what is the best setup for my tanks i know a basic setup id use but id like your view seeing you know this species well ..

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Best setup:
Substrate: Coconut fiber or peat or a mix.

Substrate should be high enough up so if the tarantulas front legs can touch the top, it's back legs can touch the substrate or be close. A 10 gallon wouldn't be good for 3" spider because of how much substrate you would need to have to reduce the risk of injuries from a fall. Use sterilite.

Keep it DRY with a waterdish. Also provide a hide.

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
i see yes i dont want them to fall from a height an hurt themselves when do you recommend moving to a permanent enclosure and wha form of heat would you use

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i see yes i dont want them to fall from a height an hurt themselves when do you recommend moving to a permanent enclosure and wha form of heat would you use
Just get a good sized sterilite container that isn't that deep. Ten gallons require a lot of a substrate even for big spiders. My 7" L. parahybana is in a 10 gallon and it is halfway filled with substrate. Room temperature is fine for tarantulas. If you're okay, so are they. But if you have to use a heat source either get a space heater or use a heat mat on the SIDE not on the bottom.

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
thank you for the info and i think ill need a heat source i live in ireland and the weather has my house pretty cold