B. smithi Burrowing

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. smithi is still young(~ 1.75" ls) and has always been one to try and burrow. All his previous attempts have failed due to dry coco fiber being useless for self support. This time though I've been spraying the area he has been working and generally he avoids it while its soaking wet, but then within the next day continues his work.

Would anyone suggest against this? I know smithis like it bone dry, but he seems not to mind if it helps his goal. My only worry is that once hes done, the structural integrity of the dry coco fiber will eventually wear down and cave in on him. I know that spraying the coco fiber helps it hold better(even after dried), but would it be enough?

Should i continue to spray even after he is finished even though I know in the end he will want it dry? Or just stop now and not let him continue to be successful in his architecture

As a side question, I was wondering if those who own obligate burrowers always keep the substrate very moist, or if you let it dry once the burrow is made? Just curious since I dont have any now, but would like some down the road and just havent had enough interest yet to research since I wont be getting one any time soon due to my situation

Hanes

Arachnosquire
I've never had a problem with dry coco fibre collapsing (my p.murinus is kept bone dry and has an elaborate tunnel system) but you could try making an artifical burrow and use a cardboard toilet roll tube to support it, he may or may not utilise it

Last edited:

Pindingy

Arachnopeon
I did a lot of research when I purchased my B Smithi, about enclosures and habitats for the B Smithi. I found a whole lot of contradiction on what and where the B Smithi lives. A lot of people like to say that they like dry arid climates, However, there is evidence that it is terrestrial rain forest T. So many contradictions on who's the authority and who knows best for this Sp.

Mine was doing the same thing as yours... I made him a hide and he covered both ends with substrate and burrowed to the bottom and doesn't come out except to eat.

And docile my A$$... it's a prick. unless docile means hides 24/7.

Oh it's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches... i also am told they mellow out when they mature... but that could be two years.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did a lot of research when I purchased my B Smithi, about enclosures and habitats for the B Smithi. I found a whole lot of contradiction on what and where the B Smithi lives. A lot of people like to say that they like dry arid climates, However, there is evidence that it is terrestrial rain forest T. So many contradictions on who's the authority and who knows best for this Sp.

Mine was doing the same thing as yours... I made him a hide and he covered both ends with substrate and burrowed to the bottom and doesn't come out except to eat.

And docile my A$$... it's a prick. unless docile means hides 24/7.

Oh it's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches... i also am told they mellow out when they mature... but that could be two years.
You're just a professional at T keeping, huh?

Mara

Arachnopeon
I'm using coco fiber, and it's fairly dry. Both my G. rosea slings dig quite a bit. Itsy, the smallest one (2,5cm DLS) dug a whole trench that s/he keeps stable by webbing over the substrate :rolleyes:

Don't think it will hurt your little one to keep the sub a bit moist if he enjoys digging in it though, but I'm by no means an expert.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never had a problem with dry coco fibre collapsing (my p.murinus is kept bone dry and has an elaborate tunnel system) but you could try making an artifical burrow and use a cardboard toilet roll tube to support it, he may or may not utilise it
ok thanks for the info, ive just noticed his other digging never really ended with a burrow more of a small tunnel in and then eventually it would be collapsed, though he might of destroyed it himself, and yeah, he has a lean-to burrow area which is his first line of running to and hiding anyways

yeah ive heard they mellow too, aslo from my research on it they stop burrowing as they get bigger, thats just why i listed the dls in case anyone was wondering about it

I'm using coco fiber, and it's fairly dry. Both my G. rosea slings dig quite a bit. Itsy, the smallest one (2,5cm DLS) dug a whole trench that s/he keeps stable by webbing over the substrate :rolleyes:

Don't think it will hurt your little one to keep the sub a bit moist if he enjoys digging in it though, but I'm by no means an expert.
Yeah, hes a quite a bulldozer, he turned his entire enclosure into basically a hill from nice and level. And i figured that, no reason to not keep it moister and more humid if he doesnt mind and its not stressing him

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i also am told they mellow out when they mature... but that could be two years.

You're a great help also considering even males take 10 years or so to mature. Not two. What exactly are you feeding it?

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
So he was wrong about something? If you want to have an attitude, why don't you leave? Atleast he was trying to help, unlike you, who I just seem to keep seeing rude comments from in a couple different threads tonight, and contributing nothing but mere insults, or act like you are better. There's no reason for it, you could atleast try to correct him nicely. I take it your a tarantula expert right?

Last edited:

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To help out my burrowers- I sift the coco fiber, removing the bigger bits. While it's just slightly damp, I layer it into the enclosure, packing it down very firmly each time. It holds up to burrowing quite well.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So he was wrong about something? If you want to have an attitude, why don't you leave? Atleast he was trying to help, unlike you, who I just seem to keep seeing rude comments from in a couple different threads tonight, and contributing nothing but mere insults, or act like you are better. There's no reason for it, you could atleast try to correct him nicely. I take it your a tarantula expert right?
Hush it up.
I'm not an expert. I just try my best to tell the right info.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I usualy leave my T's to make their own burrows and I aswell use coconut fiber substrate. I found that it depends on the bag of substrate. I always buy the same brand but sometimes it is drier or wetter than the other bags. for the T's that get collapsed burrows I just make an arteficial one.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Hahaha, i'm not hushing anything up. Who are you to try and tell me to hush? I just don't think a forum where people go on and try to help each other out as much as possible is a place for someone who has to be so rude should be. All it takes is,
"Actually, it can take up to ten years to mature, ect." Thats it. It requires nothing along the lines of trying to insult the other person for being mistaken, especially when you probably aren't the best source of information out there either.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a public forum. Unless I violate the rules then I can say what I feel like without sugar coating it. If the mods don't like it then they can remove me from the situation. I haven't been totally rude today. I've made some good posts. If you don't like me then feel free to ignore me or cuss me out in a PM. Let's not steal this topic from the original poster, Mmmmkay?

Pindingy

Arachnopeon
When did a T being docile have anything to do with how much it hides? :?
Sorry... I misspoke. When it is out of it's hole, and I have had the enclosure open, it always makes a mad dash for freedom. I've had to chase it down on several occasions.

Pindingy

Arachnopeon
Hahaha, i'm not hushing anything up. Who are you to try and tell me to hush? I just don't think a forum where people go on and try to help each other out as much as possible is a place for someone who has to be so rude should be. All it takes is,
"Actually, it can take up to ten years to mature, ect." Thats it. It requires nothing along the lines of trying to insult the other person for being mistaken, especially when you probably aren't the best source of information out there either.
Thanks, I think it's best to not engage his type once identified as the "professional know it all" because they are always right and will go to the ends of the earth to prove it, yet never supply any constructive feedback. However, I don't want to take anything away from him and his persuit as the resident expert on the forum... Because this is clearly his life.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because this is clearly his life.
Ohhh yeah, you know it...I live for arachnoboards.
But I didn't go to the end of the earth to prove it. I took 2 steps and picked up my Tarantula book which backed up my opinion that Brachypelma are slow growers and males take 10 years to mature. Sorry I made you cry. Can we be friends? {D

Last edited:

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I think over all coconut fiber is the best thing you can get for you T of any size i even use it for my little ones and they seem to thrive in it i keep a patch of moss on one side that i can mist for water droplets so they can drink untill they are about 1.5"-2" big then use a 2 litter cola cap with smoothed out edges as a water bowl, i keep the humidity by injecting water deep into the coconut fiber with a serynge

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B8709,

The ignore feature of the boards works wonders and saves a ton of headaches ;)