B. Smithi breeding questions

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
What is the time frame?

1. How long after they breed before they make an egg sack?
2. How long to complete the egg sack?
3. How long before the sling are ready to come out?

Is it better to open the egg sack yourself or let them make their own way out?

Is there anyway to keep them from eating the egg sack?

How long will a "hooked out" male live past his last molt?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What is the time frame?

1. How long after they breed before they make an egg sack?
2. How long to complete the egg sack?
3. How long before the sling are ready to come out?

Is it better to open the egg sack yourself or let them make their own way out?

Is there anyway to keep them from eating the egg sack?

How long will a "hooked out" male live past his last molt?
Wow ok,
1- 6-11 months is the time frame all my sacs have been laid with the Smithi.
2- Longest was 38 hours, shortest was 23.
3- Ohh that varies some 60-90 days.
4-I take all of mine only because some of my females like to eat the sacs for no reason at all. But there is nothing wrong with leaving it with the female ether.
5- They can get out on their own, but you can take a peek and check them out at day 35-45 and see how they are doing if you want.
6- Just keep them in a place where it’s not getting knocked around, some people swear by a quiet place to but I really don’t think that matters.
7- Once mature males stay energetic for 4-5 months then have a big decline in energy levels and most of my MM die within the year.

If you consider manual incubation pm me and Ill show you my setup that works like a charm.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is counting the cooling period. I shoot for 6 weeks. My female smithi's that dropped 2000+ slings this year, they were mated from May through July 2006. Then dropped their sacs in April of the following year.

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2000+ om<edit>g your awesome! ,how much loss did you have?

At what temp. whas the cooling period in degrees :p. And in what rate did you rais the temp and too what temp.

If i may ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow ok,
1- 6-11 months is the time frame all my sacs have been laid with the Smithi.
2- Longest was 38 hours, shortest was 23.
3- Ohh that varies some 60-90 days.
4-I take all of mine only because some of my females like to eat the sacs for no reason at all. But there is nothing wrong with leaving it with the female ether.
5- They can get out on their own, but you can take a peek and check them out at day 35-45 and see how they are doing if you want.
6- Just keep them in a place where it’s not getting knocked around, some people swear by a quiet place to but I really don’t think that matters.
7- Once mature males stay energetic for 4-5 months then have a big decline in energy levels and most of my MM die within the year.

If you consider manual incubation pm me and Ill show you my setup that works like a charm.
good write up man 38 hrs neat and 2000 impressive

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
2000+ om<edit>g your awesome! ,how much loss did you have?

At what temp. whas the cooling period in degrees :p. And in what rate did you rais the temp and too what temp.

If i may ask.
It think 50F-60F is beneficial for most species.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And you would be correct! I try to vary the temp from 64 down to 52. By doing this I am trying my best to simulate a day night temp for winter time. Then after 6 weeks I bring the temp up slowly. I move her out from 64 to 70, then a week later move her back into the T room at 78-80. From there I start offering food again a short period later maybe a week, and then start floodings as well. As she gets closer to sac laying I do one more step as well, I bring the temp to 82-84.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
talkenlate04 - that reminds me -I was wondering... a guy I know who works at a pet store wants to breed a newly hooked out male to one of his females when the spider makes a sperm web... and I remembered recently reading of you having a sac with 900 babies...so I mentioned that and he was like "no way!"

So did I read that wrong? I'm curious... how many sacs made up that 2k in babies?

(if you don't mind me asking...)

- Sharon

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was two sacs, 1237 in one and 901 in the second. The 1200 + sac is the biggest one I have had by far............... From start to finish I lost 30-40 eggs from the totals above.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
L. parahybana can have 2000 in one sac!

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
Can you elaborate a bit more about the cooling process?

I have not done that in past efforts with weak results.

What is it's purpose?

When do should you start and end it?

How vital is it?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very vital, you have to give them a cooling period to simulate winter. In our house it is a constant for the most part, and in my opinion at least cold temps aid in egg production. Just how it aids I am not sure, but their bodies are goverented somewhat by the seasonal changes. Changes that are less so in a house. So they breed in the fall (or any month you breed them) and then need to experience a winter. I go for about 6 weeks. Most people that cool just drop the temps to a constant temp. I move back and forth from two temps. I go from about 64-66 down to 52-54 degrees. I raise and lower between those temps just to give it some variety. Then after 6 weeks I bring them back in, raise the temp to 74 or so, this lasts for a few days maybe a week. Then they move back into my T room at 78-80.