B. smithi and skittishness

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in a quick question about my B smithi here. She seems to be very skittish and whenever I go to even refresh her water bowl she jumps and runs away. Just trying to make sure I'm not doing anything to stress her out. Otherwise she seems fine...eating pretty regularly, etc. I know Ts all have their own personalities, just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong (first T). She is about 2.5 inches now, I use about 3-4 inches of coir for substrate, she loves her hidey hole, about a 3 inch shallow dish for water.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well she's running away because she's scared lol

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Er...yeah I kinda figured that. Just trying to make sure its just a T being a T and not something I did.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I try to be gentle and noiseless as possible when opening the enclosure. For watering, i use a plastic pipette and clean, room temperature tap water.

I open and just refill the water dish (to be honest, i never permit those to dry out completely). I only took off and clean completely those if/when prey boluse are inside or become too dirt (substrate etc).

---------- Post added 11-17-2015 at 01:03 AM ----------

Er...yeah I kinda figured that. Just trying to make sure its just a T being a T and not something I did.
No, that's normal. My AF Pterinochilus murinus loves to "jump attack" the water, so even if she's funny, i now refill her water dish only when she sleeps under the cork :)

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
My b. smithi is very skittish. Though she is still young, only about 2 and a half inches. The slightest movement sends her darting to her burrow. My B. emilia on the otherhand is not really skittish at all. All animals are different :)

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
You're a giant that just went rooting about in her home, of course it's something you did, it's always something the keeper does. It is however very normal for a T to be somewhat skittish even if it's reputation says otherwise.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, that's totally normal. Problem is, you hear a lot about the B. smithi being calm and docile as an adult, but I've found that they are quite skittish as slings and juveniles. Mine was one of my most skittish tarantulas until it hit about 4.5" or so. Now it calmly sits out in the open. Also, it's always important to remember that temperament can vary from specimen to specimen.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup, that's totally normal. Problem is, you hear a lot about the B. smithi being calm and docile as an adult, but I've found that they are quite skittish as slings and juveniles. Mine was one of my most skittish tarantulas until it hit about 4.5" or so. Now it calmly sits out in the open. Also, it's always important to remember that temperament can vary from specimen to specimen.
My old smithi was the same way didnt calm down til it hit about 4"

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The smaller they are, the more they tend to be skittish getting scared easily. They'll mellow down with age. My big girl was pretty secretive and somewhat skittish when I bought her as 2.5". Now she's 5.5" and seriously relaxed most of the time. Rarely if ever kicks hairs, but if annoyed starts spreading fangs without threat-posing, kinda like a "...I swear...one more and..." :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Sincere thanks to everyone who posted! I figured it was just her being her but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything to stress her out. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The tarantula is reacting to something that was done by you, so in a way it's both. My H.maculata will freak out over the slightest disturbance. If I close a drawer on the other side of the room or if I remove the lid to a nearby enclosure, she'll usually dart back into her hide. I don't beat myself up over this ,even though it is because of something I did. For all she knows, I could be a predator.

Pasyoo

Arachnopeon
Good thing I found this thread. I'm really worried that my smithi has some issues or something as she tends to be very skittish in a way that she reacts even in the slightest noise and move I make just by opening the lid and boom, there she goes hiding in her burrows. My aura on the other hand is very docile. She's not reacting even if I poke her with a brush. She also don't kicks her and she's 3" now. My smithi is currently 2.5 " and because of her being so skittish, her abdomen is almost bald as she kicks out hair almost every time.

sdeveikis

Arachnopeon
My b. hamorii was extremely skittish to the point where if I just walked by their enclosure, they would scamper into their log, but after their molt, they've definitely mellowed out a hell of a lot. I can bump the tank, remove the lid noisily, and pick out boluses (boli??) and clean their water and they don't really flinch now. Very cool to see how their behavior can change after molts.

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had my b. smithi/hamorii for over 6 years now, the first T I bought. The entire time I've owned her she has been in a somewhat high(er) traffic are of the house (living room, bedroom, etc...). I'm military and we move a lot, so that's why she also moves a lot. She is always out in the open and nothing disturbs or startles her anymore. I'm not even sure she knows how to hide. The rest of my Ts were all purchased over the past year so they are younger, but I'm doing the same thing with them as they get settled into their new enclosures. My GBB is the 2nd longest T I've owned, and he/she is also out all day and isn't startled by much either. In fact, the only 2 Ts I have that run and hide if I approach their enclosure are my 2 pokies, and they are also the most recent purchases.

I think if you keep them in a quiet closet or room and take extra caution not to disturb them, ever, they will always be skittish. I think over time they will adjust to noises and a louder environment. I'm sure some more experienced members will disagree with me.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
I don't know if they're scared per-say, but more-so cautious maybe? I mean, it's instinct isn't it?

Pasyoo

Arachnopeon
Being cautious is indeed a Ts instinct. What's cool is that their temperament changes over time.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
How long you had the t?? All mine at first acted like this, now all of them don’t run at all and stay out.. I don’t know if it’s a possible but most of mine on a Saturday which is feed day they always seem to be sat in the same spot where I drop the prey in..