B. smithi Abandoned egg sack.

smrich

Arachnopeon
I noticed today my B. smithi has abandoned her egg sac in her burrow. The sac appears to be intact and uneaten. It has only been a few days since it was laid. She is a smaller female and this is her first sac.

Should I remove it? Could she possibly go back to it? Should I try a mechanical mom or is it likely infertile? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I noticed today my B. smithi has abandoned her egg sac in her burrow. The sac appears to be intact and uneaten. It has only been a few days since it was laid. She is a smaller female and this is her first sac.

Should I remove it? Could she possibly go back to it? Should I try a mechanical mom or is it likely infertile? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!
I would pull it and incubate it within the sac and rotate it a couple times a day. What do you mean when you say "mechanical mom"? Did you build a device that rotates the sac?

smrich

Arachnopeon
I would pull it and incubate it within the sac and rotate it a couple times a day. What do you mean when you say "mechanical mom"? Did you build a device that rotates the sac?
I don't have a mechanical mom, I doubt I could get one built fast enough. I am thinking I will pull the sac and attempt to incubate it and rotate it myself as you suggest.

I was just reading and interesting thread where someone was pulling sac's after a few days, opening them and incubating them. Does anyone know if this is possible?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just because you noticed she isn't with the sac at that very moment doesn't necessarily mean she's abandoned the sac. I've seen females leave the sac for a bit, only to snatch it up later on.

Give it time.

smrich

Arachnopeon
Just because you noticed she isn't with the sac at that very moment doesn't necessarily mean she's abandoned the sac. I've seen females leave the sac for a bit, only to snatch it up later on.

Give it time.
Yes, I have been hoping that was the case but it has been several hours now. How long should I wait? I may bring it to my friend who has a mechanical mom tomorrow.

smrich

Arachnopeon
Ok, she did actually pick the sac back up just now. I can see it a lot better now and it looks pretty deformed. I think it is no good. It looks round and normal on the side that was up before, but the other side is just one big mess of web and dirt.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
If you have someone that is willing to incubate it in a mechanical mom you might consider taking advantage of that. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, she did actually pick the sac back up just now. I can see it a lot better now and it looks pretty deformed. I think it is no good. It looks round and normal on the side that was up before, but the other side is just one big mess of web and dirt.
Get a picture if you can. Just because it's dirty doesn't mean it's bad.

smrich

Arachnopeon
She still has it, I will try to get some pic's to post. I don't really want to take it from her if it is still good, or if it is just destroyed anyway.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Thanks for all the help! She ended it up dropping it again. I took it again, it looks as if she never finished wrapping them they are all dried out.