B. orientalis ...the latest Zoo additions

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well.. I was off to pick up some superworms for one of my voracious eaters here and I came across 3 little toads needing a new home. They had been abandoned at the local herp store, tank and all.

Sadly, the tiny 5g tank is decorated for "land dwelling" fish or something cuz it sure isn't appropriate for these little guys. There's aquarium gravel evenly across the bottom, maybe an inch of water.. MAYBE, and an undergravel filter with the tubing jutting up into mid AIR (hellooo... I think it needs to be submerged to function correctly).

I have the basic care and temps and all that down for them.. no problem... but I'm wondering if an elaborate planted tank with a waterfall and all that jazz would be suitable for them. Any ideas? I have a few spare tanks here and some stray plants that would work well in this type of set up... I'm just curious.

Would it be better to just keep it simple or can I have a mini version of a semi-aquatic type tank and be successful in proper care?

Oh.. and will their nice green color return with proper husbandry and zero stress?

Thanks!
~Aminah

P.s. It appears that I have a trio and they will need names... ideas?

P.s.s. Is singing any indication of stress level or lack there of? The fella hopped on back of one of the chunky females and one of 'em immdediately started singing. :rolleyes:

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That Sounds Like A Great Setup.i Would Give Them A Little More Land Than Water Though.their Color Should Come Back,but Sometimes When Their Captive Bred,and The Tadpoles Arent Fed The Proper Diet The Adult Frogs Dont Have The Brightest Of Colors.the Singing Is A Good Thing(its A Male)hes Happy Enough To Sing You A Tune,lol.as Far As Names,give Them Military Names Since They Have Camo-like Markings On Thier Back,like Rambo Or Gijoe.but Its Up To You.good Luck.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay... I set up the planted, more "natural" tank for them cuz the blue and white "fish world" thing was making me stressed.

I'm not the best photographer, so bare with me on that aspect.

..and as you may or may not notice here, I will be resealing the water portion of this viv :rolleyes: I noticed this morning that the water level was pretty low for all those bubbles to be spewing out of the filter outlet :?

Not a great shot, but here's one of the dirty little toads.. very cute!

The other 2 are under the bridge.

A random shot of one of the plants... C. aequitriloba. It's a shade loving ground cover, actually, but it will serve its purpose in here with some careful maintenance.

I also planted a tiny sundew, the variegated "wandering jew" and some other mosses that I've been working with for a few months. There's a large clump of Java Moss in the water section.. attached to a piece of driftwood.

When I free up some space, I will put them in a larger tank and maybe get a few more. There seems to be 2 boys and a girl, on closer inspection and they've started to show some green now... yey!!