B. Latteralis question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok my latteralis colony has all size roaxhes, and the females are poppin out the eggs, but they arent hatching....i have them in a short 32 quart tub, with about 8 small 1/4" vents, thin layer of dry oats bedding, large peice of egg carton, and a big water dish always full with gel crystals....i keep it between 80-90 in the room, my dubia and lobster are hatching like mad, but not these guys, i thought maybe it was the humidity, so i took a big vial, and placed paper towel in it in the shape of a W..then on one side put like 5 roach ooths, and on other put a bunch of gel crystals.....and then sat them on top of a heated gecko aquarium....and its been like 2 weeks and nothing....and i think that they might be starting to mold a hair.....i really need these guys to start hatching, cause i use the newborns alot...any suggestions on whats up? thanks

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Humididty? As in...not enough, or too much? Sounds like you think there isn't enough so you're adding more?

I'd do the opposite...let them dry out.

gothra

Arachnopeon
I also had a lot of trouble hatching lateralis eggs when I first started my colony. I now pick out the eggcases and use an incubator to hatch them. I leave them in a delicup (no lid), temperature at 90F and humidity 65%. This is the only way that I can get them to hatch; I tried all sorts of methods, and they always end up denting and molding.

**I figured besides temperature and humidity, ventilation is important too.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine are in a ten gallon glass aquarium with a screen lid. I use cocofiber bedding and soak it once a week. There are literally over 100 ootheca in the cage but only a small amount hatch in these conditions because it's also like 70F in there. If I wanted more to hatch I'd increase the temps to 85F or so and only mist them lightly every other day or so. I don't have a huge need for them but air flow, light humidity, higher temps will help them hatch. It can take 3-4 weeks too so be patient. :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i figure in the tub with the parents they shouldnt have too much...ill throw a hygro in and check....but yeah the vial with ooths and gel might be too much, prob why they are starting to mold...ill check humidity in there and get back with ya

Humididty? As in...not enough, or too much? Sounds like you think there isn't enough so you're adding more?

I'd do the opposite...let them dry out.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

but how do you get your temp to 90 and humidity at 65? wouldnt that temp with a open deli have like 0 humidity or just room humidity?

I also had a lot of trouble hatching lateralis eggs when I first started my colony. I now pick out the eggcases and use an incubator to hatch them. I leave them in a delicup (no lid), temperature at 90F and humidity 65%. This is the only way that I can get them to hatch; I tried all sorts of methods, and they always end up denting and molding.

**I figured besides temperature and humidity, ventilation is important too.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

i dont wanna use any substrate like that cause i pretty much only use the newborns- juvies....and i wouldnt dare soak em, cause i would have mold everywhere...yeah i am thinking of checkin the humidity and then just seeing if some will hatch out in with the rest of the colony....

Mine are in a ten gallon glass aquarium with a screen lid. I use cocofiber bedding and soak it once a week. There are literally over 100 ootheca in the cage but only a small amount hatch in these conditions because it's also like 70F in there. If I wanted more to hatch I'd increase the temps to 85F or so and only mist them lightly every other day or so. I don't have a huge need for them but air flow, light humidity, higher temps will help them hatch. It can take 3-4 weeks too so be patient. :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If all my egg cases hatched, I would have thousands. Poor hatch rate actually works in my favor.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats how it is with my dubia..they hatcg like crazy...exact same setup as my lats, same room, but my dubia i mainly use mature males, and med-juvie for various sized geckos

If all my egg cases hatched, I would have thousands. Poor hatch rate actually works in my favor.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i checked the temp and humidity in the tub, and the temp is 84F and the humidity is 62%

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I seperate the ooths from my colony about once a week,
and keep them in a small 6x6" tupperware container with holes punched in.
The container usually has about 1/2" of moist substrate and I keep it on top of the stove where
it's always warm.
I experienced success using this method, to the point where I had to seperate a
'newborn only' colony. I was removing newborns at least every 48hrs after about a month.
In my experience they do need the added humidity to hatch out well.
"Just leaving them in there" never worked for me. (I'm in NY, possibly different climate.)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
see i basically tried the same thing with the vial/cricket gel /heat method, and just got mold.....im in ohio so yeah i got the same climate as you...was -5 or so last 2 nights...

I seperate the ooths from my colony about once a week,
and keep them in a small 6x6" tupperware container with holes punched in.
The container usually has about 1/2" of moist substrate and I keep it on top of the stove where
it's always warm.
I experienced success using this method, to the point where I had to seperate a
'newborn only' colony. I was removing newborns at least every 48hrs after about a month.
In my experience they do need the added humidity to hatch out well.
"Just leaving them in there" never worked for me. (I'm in NY, possibly different climate.)

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Vial and cricket gel" is hardly the same method?
I used a roomy 6x6 container with adequate ventilation and some plain substrate (coco fiber),
which I only occasionally misted in one corner.
Hope you find a solution! :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i see your point....i just seen it as a different container, ventilation, moist substrate....anyways with 84 degrees and 62 humidity they should hatch shouldnt they?

"Vial and cricket gel" is hardly the same method?
I used a roomy 6x6 container with adequate ventilation and some plain substrate (coco fiber),
which I only occasionally misted in one corner.
Hope you find a solution! :)

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes... give them some time. I had to wait about 5 weeks...
but once they started hatching out I was removing babies 3-4x a week.
Add the egg cases periodically, and keep it moist, not wet but moist.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok thanks alot

Yes... give them some time. I had to wait about 5 weeks...
but once they started hatching out I was removing babies 3-4x a week.
Add the egg cases periodically, and keep it moist, not wet but moist.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i cant believe it...my babies are starting to hatch....i decided to put two water gel bowls in there, and in between them put a little dish, and collect the ooths and set them in there...other night i checked the temp and humidity, and then noticed little white babies runnin around....the temp is now between 80-90, and the humidity between 60-70....but thats awesome they are finally hatching...

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Lucky. I can't get mine to hatch unless I dont heat them... That takes forever though! If I heat them they dessicate and if I add moisture they mold. :(

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i just used bowls with cricket gel for humidity, and no spraying at all...and i have a heater in the room that keeps it about 80, and inside the lats is between 80-90

Lucky. I can't get mine to hatch unless I dont heat them... That takes forever though! If I heat them they dessicate and if I add moisture they mold. :(

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well say goodbye to my latteralis population....they were finally doing amazing....there were ooths all over the place, and they were poppin out like crazy....babies were all over the place and were hatching soooo fast....temp was staying between 80-90 F, and the humidity was 60-70%.....it was amazing...and i love to use the lats as feeders...they are my fav to use....anyways....today i was giving my 3" OBT slings some lat males, and then i noticed it....mites.....of course...why not...and i mean billions....all over inside my latteralis tub, and there were so many that they were all over the outside of the tub....you have no idea how mad i am now...:mad:....i had some mite problems in the past...gettin in with my vinegaroons, and tailess whips, then emporers, then centipede....but never like this....so i feel like i just lost a close family member.....i took the tub of lats outside by my chicken building, and it will get down to about 35 F tonight...and they will just have to sit out there and die/rot/whatever happens...almost ready to get completely out of the hobby....i will never own anything that needs high humidity again.....if it cant do with a waterbowl and a little mist every week or so, then i wont own it......:(

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a feeling those were grain mites, which can be gotten rid of simply by not feeding grainy foods or drying out the bin.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep the lil white _____....well there is really no way to save my lats...because there are soooo many mites in there.i dont wanna bring em back in the house.....and im now positive that ill be gettin them back into some of my other critters....where do these things come from? and when you dry something out, where do they go?

I have a feeling those were grain mites, which can be gotten rid of simply by not feeding grainy foods or drying out the bin.