B. Lateralis

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
Is B. Lateralis a good feeder if I have just started the hobby? I just got a new B. albo :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
B. lateralis can climb glass, and they can infest your house. So, for those reasons, I say no.

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
What about B. Dubia? I just heard that the lats are more active, and are easier for the tarantula to find, while Dubia can hide in the enclosure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What about B. Dubia? I just heard that the lats are more active, and are easier for the tarantula to find, while Dubia can hide in the enclosure.
Dubia is all my tarantulas get. Just crush the head and they kick for quite some time.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Really? I tried breeding them, and they could easily climb the same tub that I keep my dubias in. I found that out the hard way :shifty:
smooth surfaces= no climbing some tubs mostly clear/translucent are smooth enough to keep them down. If the tub is rough enough inside from use or new they can get a grip.
My red runners are in these Sterilite tubs and they cant climb them.
15066036.jpe

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
smooth surfaces= no climbing some tubs mostly clear/translucent are smooth enough to keep them down. If the tub is rough enough inside from use or new they can get a grip.
My red runners are in these Sterilite tubs and they cant climb them.
View attachment 231644
Huh, interesting. The tubs I was using must have been too smooth for a dubia but just rough enough for the lats.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That's probably the case. Maybe you scrubbed it a bit and left micro-scatches? That's probably all they need. I have a small group and a bought a dollar store plastic container for them and I've never seen one scaling the walls of it. I keep the lid rubber-banded down though, I can just see myself dropping it and the lid popping off. Those suckers are fast!

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Lateralis cannot climb smooth surfaces. I have them in a spare KK I had hanging around. They can become vermin in warmer climes but cannot breed below ~80-90F with high humidity so are a good choice if you live in a temperate area. They're well-received by my Ts, don't burrow but just run around the enclosure until the T grabs them. So long as you don't plan on breeding them care is stupid easy, toilet paper rolls or egg crate to nest in, room temp, dog or cat food, a small water dish with pebbles or frequent fruit (I always have oranges handy, so they get those) to keep them hydrated.

To capture for feeding just grab a toilet paper roll/egg crate, shake them into another smooth container then scoop your roach of choice up with a pill vial or other smooth surfaced container. GL!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Huh, interesting. The tubs I was using must have been too smooth for a dubia but just rough enough for the lats.
S.lateralis (species name got moved from Blatta to Shelfordella) here are also not able to climb the walls of the plastic tub.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love using Dubia Roaches! I get mine from https://www.dubiaroachwarehouse.com/ They are healthy, cheap, and only $7 shipping anywhere in the US. You can order bulk for pretty cheap from them too. They live way longer than crickets and no smell. They are my favorite feeder to use! My dubia's hide in the enclosure and when they try and sneak out they get picked off pretty quickly. I can put about 30 in there before I leave on vacation and its like a constant feeder while I'm gone. You cant go wrong with Dubia Roaches.
Are you a virtual 'Strillone', by chance? I mean, like those young guys that back then sold to Gentlemans the newspaper on the streets in that lovely era of "hat & pipe", uhm? :-s

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I smell a spammer :bookworm:

For future reference, people actually hate it when companies do this. Terrible way to market.
View attachment 231743

Also, reported. Just to cover bases...
@ratluvr76 @AphonopelmaTX @advan
I was going to suggest that it could be somebody who was impatient with the reply button until I looked at the screenshot you provided. You are right, a terrible way to market. A single post MIGHT have induced me to check out the link, but not in light of what you showed us.