B. lateralis food observation.

Ambystoma

Arachnopeon
So I have a colony of lats going at least a thousand strong. I feed them a mix of fruits, veggies, dog food and if one of my smaller snakes doesn't eat their pinky I'll put that in there. The pinky is always F/T and I noticed if given ample supply of all other foods they will always go for the pinky and finish it within a few hours. Has anyone else run into this? Just thought it was a bit interesting.

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't know but i have a question for you, have you ever noticed a horrible smell coming from the b lats? With my fairly new colony even after cleaning or transferring to a new bin mine still smell, it seems to be coming directly from the roaches.

Ambystoma

Arachnopeon
I keep mine pretty well ventilated and don't noticed that bad of a smell. I mean they definitely have an odor, but not too overwhelming. Then again I've had them for quite a while now so maybe I just don't notice.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I wouldn't know but i have a question for you, have you ever noticed a horrible smell coming from the b lats? With my fairly new colony even after cleaning or transferring to a new bin mine still smell, it seems to be coming directly from the roaches.
You have to do three things:

Keep the substrate dry.
Keep well the enclosure ventilated.
Feed more fruits and less protein.

OP:

FT pinkies are a lot higher protein quality than anything else you can offer, plus it is moisten protein matter, easier to take in. The roaches know what they want.

Ambystoma

Arachnopeon
I figured as much and kind of just assumed that was the case. Either way I just found it pretty interesting. It's interesting to watch them swarm it, not in that "o man this is so hardcore" way, but something about watching my little colony devour something that fast is awesome.