B. Lateralis care sheet

YJHB

Arachnopeon
Aawww, thank you :)

If anything will be THE cricket replacement, I do believe its B. Lateralis, even in the few geographic areas they can infest. Crix are accomplished infestors, but its just that when ppl hear the word "roach", or worse yet "cockroach" they are repulsed. They are easier to breed and raise, and are superior feeders, pure and simple.

I'm sure that if kept with appropriate precautions, Lateralis can be safely kept in TX, CA & all the other states where they have potential to be a pest - moats around their bins, boric acid on the floor of their room and in bait in their room, and etc.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, roaches are FAR superior to crickets in all aspects. I'm really getting a kick out of my colonies.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for the answer to my cat food question, and thanks for such a great care sheet. I am in the process of building up some new colonies of roaches for feeding and fun; and B. lateralis are on my list. So far I have B. dubias (orange spot), B. fusca (dwarf cave), B. dicoidis (discoids), B. giganteus (giant cave), E. prosticus (orange heads), G. portentosa (hissers), H. Subcincta (glow spot roaches).:eek:

Off Topic a bit--Day gex need exposure to real sunlight, not just UV lights to get those great big Calcium sacks. I used to keep mine in a southern exposed window that I would open when the weather was appropriate.

YJHB

Arachnopeon
jojobear said:
Thank you for the answer to my cat food question, and thanks for such a great care sheet. I am in the process of building up some new colonies of roaches for feeding and fun; and B. lateralis are on my list. So far I have B. dubias (orange spot), B. fusca (dwarf cave), B. dicoidis (discoids), B. giganteus (giant cave), E. prosticus (orange heads), G. portentosa (hissers), H. Subcincta (glow spot roaches).:eek:

Off Topic a bit--Day gex need exposure to real sunlight, not just UV lights to get those great big Calcium sacks. I used to keep mine in a southern exposed window that I would open when the weather was appropriate.
Well, when you're ready for Lateralis, I'd trade for equal numbers of Dubia... my Dubia colony is only 900 or so individuals; I'm afraid to feed them out yet. AND I am SO JEALOUS you have Glow spots! I'd trade 100 to 1 to get my hands on some of those! Let me know when you breed the little cuties! you even have dwarf caves...my, you have some goodies!
I had a Koch's day gecko for 9 years but he died from a prolapsed cloaca. It was completely my fault, I was moving and didn't realize he was having problems because I wasn't looking in on him like I should have been. I still think about him. I've heard of German success with the day gex; I wondered what was going on! You have to do the same with chameleons, but that's to ensure they don't get MBD, the touchy beasts.

Last edited:

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm curious: Is providing water gel/crystals sufficient to hydrate Lats, or would you actually have to mist to provide humidity?

Moose9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in California and raise B. lateralis roaches as well. B. lateralis roaches showed up here around 5 years ago and we have never had any infestation of any kind. This particular species of roach requires more damp humid conditions than most households can provide. I agree with the OP, this species can live outside here in Ca. but not likely in my opinion to infest your home.

With all the escapes I have had, if there was to be a problem, I would of seen it by now. They also don't like cool temps below 60F. I have seen them survive temps down to the mid 30's, but not long. We start seeing them around Spring through late Summer, then they disappear till the following year. Always take precautions when raising such species.

I also agree with cat food, don't use it, at least the cheap stuff. It increased the odor in all my roaches, not just the B. lateralis species. Mine seem to do better at higher humidity too. I live in the desert and most of time humidity is only around 9%-12%, very dry. I have never used substrate or mist them and produced tens of thousands last year. I just keep a dish or two full of water gel depending on size of colony and it keeps the humidity up just fine.

A tip for anyone worried about escapes, put out a container(s) of water along a wall. Catches them pretty quick. They seek out water and end up falling in and drowning. Not only do I catch any escapes, but I also catch any strays that wonder in from outside.

All mentioned herein has been from my experience and observation and is just my opinion.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How Do You Avoid Your Lats To Get Infested By ANTS?
Wow this really is an old post...useful though so its good it was revived. As for the ant issues. You could do a number of things. You could put a solid row of sticky traps all around the tank or if your tank is small enough sit it in a shallow baking pan (or a larger bin that was cut down) and add water. It basically creates a mote that the ants cannot cross. If all else fails, but vasoline on the outside of your bin...it's messy, but should work.

fireblade929

Arachnopeon
i came across this old post....gosh i learned a lot more than when i was in college :D i knew this board woudl be a lot of help!

YJHB

Arachnopeon
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm curious: Is providing water gel/crystals sufficient to hydrate Lats, or would you actually have to mist to provide humidity?
I really don't know! I got out of roaches when I had kids in 2006. Now those kids are interested in animals that eat roaches, so I've come back full circle to check on my most favorite care sheet :)

YJHB

Arachnopeon
*sigh*
:8o
I meant no offense at all.........am sorry if it came off as if I did......was only responding to GoTerps post..............trying to make a joke.......which fell flat. Sorry.

I am not a native Texan.......was born in Germany......raised there......have lived in North Dakota for a number of years......do know about cold & low humidity.....lived in California for over 30 years......only recently moved to Texas in 2000.......was only joking & commenting on the humidity here which I am NOT used to yet & the effect it has on bug raising.

Your care sheet is excellent & no disrespect was intended. I really did not think that my comments were cutting your hard work......was just trying to make a post & tell about my experience here with my bugs.

Beth :8o
Wow, I am a different person than I was 16 years ago... reading this thread with new (old) eyes is showing me that I've gotten so much less 'touchy'. I also seem to have forgotten half the crap I learned about keeping roaches, because now my care sheet is helping ME. hahaa