B. klaasi sling refusing to eat.

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
I have a B. klaasi who now hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and two days. [She] is a little over 1/2" long, very active (crawling all over everything in the cup), but isn't the least bit interested in food. Tried waxworms and crickets (wiggly and not wiggly) every 3-4 days but haven't had any interest. Thoughts?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They can go without food longer than you'd think. As long as they're getting water to drink and you keep offering food regularly, that's all you can do. It could be in pre-molt, or just not hungry yet. Gotta be patient. Also, make sure you don't leave live crickets in there overnight that could eat it during a molt.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not sure what you mean by "not wiggly", but have you tried putting in a pre-killed cricket and leaving it on overnight?

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
Not sure what you mean by "not wiggly", but have you tried putting in a pre-killed cricket and leaving it on overnight?
Tried live ones and dead ones.. sling isn't afraid of the live ones, just uninterested. It's plenty fat, so I'm not super worried, just wondering if I need to change what I'm doing.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Tried live ones and dead ones.. sling isn't afraid of the live ones, just uninterested. It's plenty fat, so I'm not super worried, just wondering if I need to change what I'm doing.
As long as it has a hide, a water dish, and dirt, it should be fine. If you would like, you can take a pic of the enclosure.

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
If you want your T to eat more frequently, feed it less frequently than what you have done in the past.
It hasn't eaten since I got it, actually. I keep trying every 3-4 days, leaving the feeder in there overnight, then removing it in the morning (if it's alive).

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Just keep a spot in the substrate moist for it to drink. I would keep throwing crushed head crickets in every other day. It will eat, or u will find a molt in there soon.

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
Update: It's been a month and a day since my klaasi has eaten. I've been trying every few days, and still no interest. If the crickets are dead, she ignores them. If they're alive, she's terrified of them. I know slings can be fussy, do I need to be worried, or is this still normal? Her abdomen is still on the chunky size, but she's definitely thinner than when I got her.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Update: It's been a month and a day since my klaasi has eaten. I've been trying every few days, and still no interest. If the crickets are dead, she ignores them. If they're alive, she's terrified of them. I know slings can be fussy, do I need to be worried, or is this still normal? Her abdomen is still on the chunky size, but she's definitely thinner than when I got her.
Should be fine, but post a pic to be sure. As long as the abdomen is a good size, it should be ok.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
A while ago I had bought 3 p.subfusca slings that were 1 inch. Two of them were great eaters and molted twice before the 3rd one even molted. The odd-ball went through a phase where it didn't eat for 1.5 months, and then ate 1 cricket and immediately went into premolt. Like someone said above, just supply water and she'll be fine

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
Should be fine, but post a pic to be sure. As long as the abdomen is a good size, it should be ok.
Took this one this morning. Abdomen is about 30% smaller than it was a month ago. I put a crushed head cricket in there last night and she's terrified of it.

Attachments

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Took this one this morning. Abdomen is about 30% smaller than it was a month ago. I put a crushed head cricket in there last night and she's terrified of it.
Has this cricket eat anything since you have owned it? Make sure you are putting in the right size prey. Unless you have some really small crickets, it may be better to break the cricket into a few pieces and see if that helps.

Is that a vial for the enclosure? I am not a fan of vials to house T's, but maybe part of it is my lack of any experience in using them. I prefer the really small deli cups instead because then you can give the T a hide and provide a moist and dry area to let the T control where it wants to be. If you don't have a hide in the container it is critical to give the sling some privacy time since it has no way to feel safe when it constantly detects a threat.

EDIT* The T doesn't look unhealthy. There is no need to panic yet.

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
Has this cricket eat anything since you have owned it? Make sure you are putting in the right size prey. Unless you have some really small crickets, it may be better to break the cricket into a few pieces and see if that helps.

Is that a vial for the enclosure? I am not a fan of vials to house T's, but maybe part of it is my lack of any experience in using them. I prefer the really small deli cups instead because then you can give the T a hide and provide a moist and dry area to let the T control where it wants to be. If you don't have a hide in the container it is critical to give the sling some privacy time since it has no way to feel safe when it constantly detects a threat.

EDIT* The T doesn't look unhealthy. There is no need to panic yet.
No, she hasn't eaten anything since I've had her, which is almost a month now. I've tried a couple-few times each week with different size/kinds of prey items, some alive, some half-dead, some dead. The cricket in there since last night is about half her size and mostly dead.

She's in the vial temporarily (as in, overnight) - had been in a larger 2.5" cup but the air holes were a little too big (1/8") and she escaped (whole other story). She'll have a hide and a little water once she's back in her normal environment. She had been in there for the past month. We have 3 T's, all on a high-up bookshelf that isn't disturbed other than to water and feed.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No, she hasn't eaten anything since I've had her, which is almost a month now. I've tried a couple-few times each week with different size/kinds of prey items, some alive, some half-dead, some dead. The cricket in there since last night is about half her size and mostly dead.

She's in the vial temporarily (as in, overnight) - had been in a larger 2.5" cup but the air holes were a little too big (1/8") and she escaped (whole other story). She'll have a hide and a little water once she's back in her normal environment. She had been in there for the past month. We have 3 T's, all on a high-up bookshelf that isn't disturbed other than to water and feed.
Your husbandry for the T sounds fine to me. Perhaps someone else who owns s B. klassi can provide advice. I also own a 1/2" size sling. I have no idea if mine has eaten yet because it is constantly burrowing so far. For this reason, I have only put pre-kill only in the container.

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
Your husbandry for the T sounds fine to me. Perhaps someone else who owns s B. klassi can provide advice. I also own a 1/2" size sling. I have no idea if mine has eaten yet because it is constantly burrowing so far. For this reason, I have only put pre-kill only in the container.
No burrowing with this one, though super active and all over the place. My bf suggested perhaps she's vegetarian! :p

KlaasiLady

Arachnopeon
SHE ATE. AHH. Last weekend, a beheaded cricket that sat in there for two days. She ate this weekend too, same situation. Crazy baby T. Thank goodness, though. I'm happy.