b. jacksoni

sidexkick

Arachnopeon
I Just bought a little guy today. I read up on some care and things before i got it, but Theres alot of different things about the venom. I'v read its not medically signifigant and wont cause you to go goto a hospital, and then also i heard its worse then yellow fat tails, and slightly less then death stalkers. Can someone clearify this for me? also hows its disposition. I was poking at mine with a ruler, and it gave the ruler a poke after a while, but then decided to just let me poke at him. If anyone knows a bit more about this species other then husbandry id like to know. Thank you anyone who reads :)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I Just bought a little guy today. I read up on some care and things before i got it, but Theres alot of different things about the venom. I'v read its not medically signifigant and wont cause you to go goto a hospital, and then also i heard its worse then yellow fat tails, and slightly less then death stalkers. Can someone clearify this for me? also hows its disposition. I was poking at mine with a ruler, and it gave the ruler a poke after a while, but then decided to just let me poke at him. If anyone knows a bit more about this species other then husbandry id like to know. Thank you anyone who reads :)
Highly improbable this species is worse that Androctonus and Deathstalkers, in fact one dealer's description of Babycurus jacksoni sounds like a confession of a sting victim, he just says it smarted like HELL. That is no active encouragement to be stung by this scorpion and no scientific studies have elaborated just how venomous it truly is. And please don't play and harass the creature how would you like to be poked and prodded by a ruler. ;)

sidexkick

Arachnopeon
haha yea being poked with a ruler would suck. esepcially by someone a million times bigger then you. I just wanted to see if it would strike and things around it moving. haha. Thanks for the imput:)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your welcome, when I want a reaction from one of my inverts for whatever reasons I take a Q-tip in my tweezers or hemostats give a soft brush on one of the appendages, like the claws, the tail, or one of the hindlegs. Nothing to stress animals too much.

Exception to the rule are wallcrawlers.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Guys,

B.jacksoni is not nearly as venomous as "yellow fat tails or deathstalkers". But the severity of a envenomation depends on so much variables, that one can only say in general, in adults feel a sharp pain or pins & needles are felt around the stingsite, the pain sometimes radiates further up an arm or leg. Some swelling will probably occur and reddishness around the stingsite.
Sting incidents can be more severe in children, sick or older people.

It is not as dangerous as some others, be don't mess around with these guys, because you wouldn't want to be stung anyway..:D

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theres alot of different things about the venom.
I know, I've run into the same problem; some people say they're "medically significant" while others recommend them as a starter species:confused:. So far I can gather that they are more of an intermediate sp, and thus I hope to get a few scorplings in the future. ~ Rex

sidexkick

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies. Im a little more confident about this being my first scorpion now haha. Does anyone have any ifnormation on the growth rate and max size on these guys. Also how to you measure a scorpion? From the a "snout to vent" kinda thing or what?

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the tip of its head, or snout, to the tip of the tail. Claws don't count.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Regarding the growth, I bought five in May as 2nd and 3rd instars, and one of the 3rds reached 5th instar last week. He's showing that he's a male, and I think he's mature at this point. Excluding the tail he's about as big as a quarter. I know that in some Buthids the females are larger than the males but I don't recall if this applies to B. jacksoni or not.

Have fun with your new buddy! These guys are my favorite scorp that I've owned so far.