B. Jacksoni scorpling arrived, gotta few questions.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

This morning my baby jacksoni arrived, and I must say that they're some of the most beautiful looking animals I've seen! The pics really don't do justice when you see one up close. I do have a few questions that I was wondering if I could get helped out with...

Alrighty, for starters my little one is right around an inch in length, and now that I actually see how small the critter is I fear that my Critter Keeper that I've got him set up in may be way too big, it measures in at the following, 12x7x9. I'm using eco-earth as the bedding, and it's recently been sprayed down and stirred to have a nice humidity level. I'm heating the keeper up with one of T-Rex's mini Cobra heat mats, it covers about 1/3 the enclosure, and there are 2 pieces of cork bark that will be able to supply my little one with ample hiding places. I've got a water dish that ended up being much to big for me to be comfortable with, so I'm going to resort to using a bottle cap or film roll cap for his water dish for the time being. I'm thinking that I'll more then likey buy a small or even extra small keeper for him and get that set up.

Another thing I was wondering was about his feeding. I was thinking that I'd give him small crickets that have the hind legs pinched so they'll be easier for the little one to eat. The scorpling arrived today (at around 10am), so when do you think I should try feeding him? I'm pretty sure he's getting acclimated and I wouldn't want feeders stressing him out. Should I give him a day or two?

And lastly (for now anyway, heh) in doing my research I've seen that there are quite a few different ideas as to how they should be kept humidity wise. Some people say keep the cage slighty dry, but mist the enclosure a few times a day, and let the water dish overflow so water gets into the substrate that way. Others recommend keeping the substrate slightly damp, but provide the scorpion with plenty of dry areas. I live in colorado, so it's really not the most humid of places. I was actually gonna add a little bit of water to the eco-earth on a normal basis, as well as mist the enclosure down 2 times a day (or more if it's recommended). I kind of figured that the area under the cork bark would naturally be more humid, so when the scorpling is hiding out it'll be getting the humidity that it needs. Do you think that would work okay? Also, should I cover the top of the critter keeper with plastic wrap to keep humidity levels higher? Or would spraying the cage down, and adding water to the substrate be enough?

Sorry if this turns into an eye sore, but I just want to make sure the little guy is getting the best he can.

Thanks much!
- Rich

EDIT : I went ahead and put some moist eco-earth, and a piece of bark inside the vial that the scorp was shipped in, and I transferred the little guy over to that. It's a very small set up, but I think at the moment it's better then the HUGE one it was currently kept in.

I'll leave it like that until I get it's new enclosure set up, a couple of hours from now. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is a good read:
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12511

and here is another read you might find interesting
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=67128&highlight=early+instar

You dont need a heat mat unless your house cold. I would ditch the kritter keeper. KKs will let it dry out too fast. Keep in a box like in the pic below. Flood about 1/3-1/2 of the substrate leaving the other side dry, add some stacks of wood or cork bark and you're all set. Dont keep them together until they are grown. Adults can be kept in large groups.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Brian,

Thanks much for the reply, and all the info! I do appreciate it. My house is right around 70 degrees, think that'd be too cold? Again, I appreciate all the help, and I'll definitely do what you said.

Take it easy,
- Rich

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can give them around 80F they would appreciate it. I have always had better success with warmer temps. Temps in the 70s is great for most tarantulas but most scorps seem to do better in the low 80s especially if you plan to breed them.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool cool. I'll definitely get it up there. Breeding them would definitely be something that I think I'll look into at some point, but for now, hehe, I think I'll stick to keeping 'em without the propagation (I say that now, but ask me again in 6 months hehe).