B. jacksoni question (yes, I already searched!)

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong (or maybe doing it right ;P ) because this little guy is VERY boring. I've seen emps with more personality than this. He just chills in one or two spots all the time, rarely climbing or wandering around. He's eating, but that's about all the activity I've seen. Also, it's unusually docile...almost timid. When I moved him into his permanant home, he responded to contact by simply drawing his limbs close to his body; no threat posture or anything. :?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like most other spp out there, they arent near as boring when you have a group of them living together

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What are your temperatures and RH% at?
Temps are mid 80s during the day, and humidity isn't in issue in my area. I have a harder time keeping the humidity down for my desert scorps than up for this guy.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's rather odd behaviour, but scorpions do vary in temperament. I have had an emperor scorpion male(yes, the nice and cuddly species) that thried to tag me and attack when I only lifted the tank top. It was very agressive, while other specimens where as docile as in the schoolbook examples.

I understand your feelings about the scorp being boring, but it shows it's natural behaviour and that's a good sign. They are not active and run around in their natural environment aswell.

I you want active pets, stick to the reptiles and amphibians etc etc. Try and watch your B.jacksoni at night, from dusk untill just before midnight, then they are the most active and you can see them foraging, climbing etc etc

Ciao, Michiel

scorpionking

Arachnopeon
B.jacksonii

If your looking for some action from these guy's you should either purchase a moon glow system or ordinary blue bulbs and check on them at dusk,if you have a few you'll have plenty of action to watch:clap: ,otherwise the one will stay put in a corner or hide until it feels safe enough to feed and roam.Take Care

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my babycurus jacksoni are rarely that active unless i get up in the middle of the night and view them under dim light. the second i flip a light switch on they're into their hides in a flash. i haven't tried the blue light idea, but i might have to now, they do seem quite shy in the bright light. as far as a threat posture goes i haven't seen one yet, my pair are quite docile. i've handled the male once just to see if i could while seperating him from the female enclosure and he just crept around in the palm of my hand and settled down in the center like it was no big deal. probably not the smartest idea, but it went well enough...

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. jacksoni usually stay under their piece of wood I have setup for them. Although every now and then I will catch the female just outside of the wood, I guess the male kicks her out for some peace and quiet :D . Other than that the only other time I see them is when I feed them at night, and thats only once a week.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to agree with everyone who suggested nightwatching. Mine hide all day and tuck their claws in to protect themselves whenever I look, but at night they crawl all around hoping to find some prey.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my babycurus jacksoni are rarely that active unless i get up in the middle of the night and view them under dim light. the second i flip a light switch on they're into their hides in a flash.

{D Yes, Babycurus species really hate light (photophobic?), they even hate it and run if I keep my Xenopus 'maglite' to close to them (this means closer thnn at least 1 meter/ 3feet).
They do run to their hides in a flash. :rolleyes: B.gigas seems somewhat more tolerant, but is also not fond of (bright) light.
I try to take all my pictures of them in daylight to leave them alone at night.