B. jacksoni info needed

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I've asked some of these questions before, but I just want to double check.

I'm seriously considering adding a B. jacksoni to my collection. I'd consider my experience level to be moderate. I've never been stung and currently keep 5 scorps--none of which is hot. I live in a dorm (college), so I can't have anything seriously dangerous. That being said, I live down the hall from a constrictor and a ferret (which is not hesitant to bite). These animals pose much more of a threat to the health of the communty than my scorps, but I don't what to change that. So I need to know how hot the venom of the B. jacksoni is. Also, does anyone have any experience keeping these. I'd like to have some info as to humidity and heat index.

Finally, are these scorps as active as other bark scorps? I'd like a "display" scorp (if there is such a thing), and was thinking that B. jacksoni would be a good choice.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B. jacksoni isn't listed as one of the top most dangerous scorpions on the singnet site (with input by David Gaban, among others): http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chuaeecc/venom/venom2.htm

But that doesn't mean you should make it a lap pet. ;) What I've read indicates it's fairly hot, if not exactly in the same league as L. quinquestriatus. Back in May of 1996, Jan Ove had this to say:

"I have been stung by Hottentotta trilenatus. This was less painfull than a wasp sting, and they pain disapeared after an hour or so. My advicor on my MSc thesis was stung by another east african buthid (probably a Babycurus sp.). This was very painful, but gave no systemic symptoms."

One thing is for sure, it's one of the nicest looking scorps I've ever seen. The colors aren't exaggerated in the pics that have circulated.

bill

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Bill.

You've had some experience with this species, so could you comment on care--specifically humidity and temp?

I wanted to mention also that I'm a big fan of yours. It's refreshing to interact with businesspeople who also have a love for the hobby. I really want to order from you, but the $30 winter shipping is getting in the way (paying more for shipping than for the scorp doesn't seem cost effective). I'm trying to get a local pet shop that sells numerous inverts to switch dealers (that is, switch to you). Hopefully they'll make a big order and pass the shipping savings on to me. So be on the look out for an order from Poughkeepsie NY.

Thanks again,
Chris

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks - As usual, if you have any sales/business dialogue you'd like to go over with me, please email me or pm me rather than use the regular discussion forums. You can reach me at:

bills@invertepet.com

or the private messaging function here.

thx,

bill