B. Jacksoni care

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi people.

I need to know how to care from a 2cm baby of Babycurus Jacksoni, like terrarium substract, heatment, humidity, and all we need to care well of he.

I make a search in the forum but I dont find anything that clear my doubts!

I need also to know, if were possible, yours opinion of that species for beginers!

tks your all.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/b_jacksoni_info.pdf

See page three for captive care information. :)

I've kept five 2nd and 3rd instars on a shelf in my apartment's living room in deli cups on a little bit of coco fiber. I don't monitor the temperature, but they seem to do OK and readily accept prey. One is currently in premolt.

As far as beginners, I think B. jacksoni are beginner-to-moderate. They are slightly more venomous than most "beginner" scorpions, but not very dangerous. I've heard they are easy to keep and they are quite a beautiful species.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When you are searching the boards it's allways a good idea to try many different search parameters.
I spent 10 seconds and found this excellent care sheet written by Michiel.

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12511

However if you carry on searching you will find loads of jacksonii related information.
A lot of tips and ideas can simply be had by reading between the lines in any of the threads relating to B.jacksonii..

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks your all.

So, you are saying to me that B. jacksoni are not so swetable for beginer cause their bite? I dont think to manipulate him, only for observate, like an aquarium...

the venom of B. jacksoni are more or less powerfull that B. Ibericus?

IHeartMAntis: Are you using heatment? The temperatures in Portugal are a little bit high. On summer rounds 30ºC (inside house), but on the winter they come down to 10º (inside home), so, in the winter I will need to use heatment, right? What you advice me? A heating mat or a Ceramic/IV Lamp?

thanks ;)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's relatively cool at my home (~20 Celcius), but all of my scorps seem to fare well enough without a heatmat. As summer progresses it will warm up slightly, and in winter I try not to let the room temperature get below 18 Celsius. I'd suggest using heating in the winter if it gets down to 10 Celcius indoors.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think he meant that if it gets that cold inside, you need a heater for YOURSELF. :)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
really? LOOL

so stupid I am, sometimes... bah...

LOOL

but, all the way, I'm very hot if I were with GOOD company (reed: hot girl) :D (COF COF)

:p

greetings for all your.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
guys, I've another noob question to do.

CAn I keep two scorplings of B. Jacksoni together? Are any risks of canibalism?
I've the adult Buthus Ibericus on a rectangular box 30*20*15 (more and less) and I have a cilindric box with 18cm of base diameter and 25cm height free. CAn I use the cilindric box for the Babycurus Jacksoni when scorplings, or its to small?
Or Could I mantain B. Ibericus on cilindric box and the youngs B. Jacksoni on rectangular box?

I plan to buy an glass box whit 50*30*30 and divide to middle. Half for B. Ibericus, and the other half from B. JAcksoni. What do you think?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B jacksoni will cannibalize it's brood mate during early instars, especially during a moult.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Pear,

About the division of your tank. The B.jacksoni needs moderate to high humidity and I believe the Buthus spp. like it drie. I might not be such a good idea, because the Buthus might develop mycosis from the high humidity in the tank of the Babycurus.

I would keep the young separate, just to be sure. If you only have two, you shouldn't take the risk of cannibalism. Most cases of cannibalism occur during molting of the specimens (when they are defenseless against attack of their siblings or other scorpions.

If you have any questions, just ask them. :)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About the division, but even if I make the division by puting a glass or acrilic separator, would I can obtain different humidities on the different sides os terrarium?

So, Its bad ideia to keep yougs together. OK. And when adults? Its possible the sociability? And when scorplings, what the dimension of terrarium they requires? I've saw some pics on that forum of scorpling living in smal plastic boxes (like 3/4 times bigger than scorpling)...

tks for the answers!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About the division, but even if I make the division by puting a glass or acrilic separator, would I can obtain different humidities on the different sides os terrarium?

So, Its bad ideia to keep yougs together. OK. And when adults? Its possible the sociability? And when scorplings, what the dimension of terrarium they requires? I've saw some pics on that forum of scorpling living in smal plastic boxes (like 3/4 times bigger than scorpling)...

tks for the answers!
Hi,

1. Yes you can obtain different humidities by placing a glass divider, but do make shure the Buthus part does not get too moist.
2. Yes, you can keep Babycurus jacksoni together safely from instar 5. I have raised 13 Babycurus jacksoni together in group well into instar 3. no cannibalsim occured then. I also kept up to 4 adults together in one container without problems. In my opinion they are fairly sociable if provided enough hides and sufficient food. The smaller they are, the more often they molt and get into the position that they became vulnerable for predation by siblings. Remember, these are my experiences and opinions.
3. I keep the young in 250 ml delicups. These are plastic and hygienic.

Hope to have helped you somewhat,

Regards, Michiel

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, Michiel

thanks for the opinion! very helpfull!

Different opinions are there, and so I will play for sercurity and I wont place they together.

About the Buthus, I think I will let him free and lattely, when I get some experience with the babycurus, I will try to caught a couple and breed, and them I will stay whit one little to me.

Really thanks for your answers!

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi people,

anyone could tell me how can I mantain humidities hight?

I've reed to use "vermiculite". I think that is the cristal water (some kind of gelitificated water) used in plants. Could be that? Could I mix that with the coconut fiber I have?

tks

the B. JAcksoni are coming :D:D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hi people,

anyone could tell me how can I mantain humidities hight?
What type of a cage are you using? If you will use a plastic box, drill holes around the sides. For B jacksoni, I normally keep about 1/2 of the box with moist substrate with the other side dry. Keep several hides on both sides so that the scorpions can choose which they want. If you have small specimens, you need to put in a smaller container.
Do it like this and you will be fine.

This is a box with C limbatus but you can do B jacksoni the same way

I dont think you took the time to read the link I posted for you earlier. It shows you exactly how to do it. But to give you the benefit of a doubt, I will post a picture to show how to keep the young. If you do it like this you will succeed

The "caresheets" there are extremely vague and do not go into enough detail for a novice keeper. They are almost as useless as tits on a boar hog lol.

Last edited:

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi.

I understand your point, Brian, and really thanks for the help! I dont use this plastic boxes only for a reason: Its bad to observe them without remove the top of the box.

I want to see the scoprs very well at night throught the enclosure, so I've found two acrilic boxes of phonemobile. It are 22cm cubic boxes and we can observe perfectly the scorps like a glass aquarium!

I have only one doubt, that is the humidities. Many people mix that "vermiculite" on the substract to help mantain hight humidities.
The product I talk about is that:

the question is that I really need to mis that product with the subtract, or simply spray every day/week the terrarium!