B. hamorii With Broken Fangs

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
I posted here a few weeks ago about my B. hamorii who seemed to have gotten her fangs stuck in a molt. I fed her a cricket yesterday, and my fears were confirmed as she struggled to hold on to the cricket and eventually the cricket escaped.

I killed the cricket and opened its exoskeleton up a bit for her, and put it by her den and she grabbed it. It looks like she may have little fang nubs. I plan to continue with feeding pre-killed cricket/insect soup.

My question is would it be a good idea to raise the ambient temperature in the room to speed up her metabolism to get her to her next molt sooner? I did see suggestions for this on other posts here on Arachnoboards. I’d just like to confirm that this would be a good idea for a slow growing species such as hersef

Thank you all so much!

- I have attached photos of her condition about a week after she molted on 02/25/2023

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If she can eat in some sort way then there is hope. Raising conditions to speed up the tarantulas molting periods could work. Who knows? It's worth a shot.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hmmm it does appear to have broken both fangs off which is a fairly bad thing to happen. If it can't eat readily and easily or at all, I would suggest considering euthanizing it. Hopefully it does come down to that and it is able to eat but I feel its important to be aware what the responsible thing to do is. Not to be the harbinger of bad news but that's what I would be considering if it was mine and it was not able to readily eat.

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
I
Hmmm it does appear to have broken both fangs off which is a fairly bad thing to happen. If it can't eat readily and easily or at all, I would suggest considering euthanizing it. Hopefully it does come down to that and it is able to eat but I feel its important to be aware what the responsible thing to do is. Not to be the harbinger of bad news but that's what I would be considering if it was mine and it was not able to readily eat.
I agree, and I don’t want her to suffer. I am going to try everything I can to help her through this, but I am not going to let her waste away.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I agree, and I don’t want her to suffer. I am going to try everything I can to help her through this, but I am not going to let her waste away.
Okay I am glad to hear you are at least considering that option, its not an easy think to consider doing it, but sometimes its the best thing to do! Good on you for being open to that! Sorry that happened to you!

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
Okay I am glad to hear you are at least considering that option, its not an easy think to consider doing it, but sometimes its the best thing to do! Good on you for being open to that! Sorry that happened to you!
Thank you!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Theraphosinae mainly use their fangs to masticate prey, however they are also able to use the base of the chelicerae and pedipalps to grind things up too. Since they don't eat or drink with their fangs and instead use a small hole at the base of their chelicerae, odds are she'll be able to mash up prekilled food and just eat it like normal. She'll have a hard time digging a burrow and grabbing things without her fangs though. I think she can easily make it through this, so long as she has her chelicerae and pedipalps.

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
Theraphosinae mainly use their fangs to masticate prey, however they are also able to use the base of the chelicerae and pedipalps to grind things up too. Since they don't eat or drink with their fangs and instead use a small hole at the base of their chelicerae, odds are she'll be able to mash up prekilled food and just eat it like normal. She'll have a hard time digging a burrow and grabbing things without her fangs though. I think she can easily make it through this, so long as she has her chelicerae and pedipalps.
Thank you so much!! That’s really helpful and uplifting. She just got a prekilled waxworm and seemed pretty happy with it. 🙂

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If she seems to be even eating a little bit of the prekilled prey, I think there’s a good chance of getting to next molt.
Raising temps probably not necessary.

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
If she seems to be even eating a little bit of the prekilled prey, I think there’s a good chance of getting to next molt.
Raising temps probably not necessary.
Thank you! She seems to have been eating pre-killed prey, and has also done some excavating around her burrow! Good signs. 👍🏻

jmyers494

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to give everyone an update that my B. hamorii molted Sunday night, and I have confirmed today that she grew her fangs back! Thank you again to everyone who helped me out with this and had great advice to give. 76F95446-AB85-418F-A10C-8FED5E7017E6.jpeg