B. hamorii vs B. smithi

MaggieAndJonathan

Arachnopeon
I'm finding conflicting information on the internet about B. hamorii vs B. smithi. Some say that it was a name change from B. smithi to B. hamorii and some say that they are two different species. Looking for some clarification!

Killertut

Arachnosquire
there are two species:
B. hamorii ex smithi and
B. smithi ex annitha.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
With slight variations in appearance?
Yes, B. smithi was renamed B. hamorii, while what was previously known as B. annitha became the new B. smithi.

The two look similar, but you can see differences with a side by side comparison.

Edit - The species were not renamed, but clarified as to which species was which after having been wrongly identified.

Last edited:

MaggieAndJonathan

Arachnopeon
Yes, B. smithi was renamed B. hamorii, while what was previously known as B. annitha became the new B. smithi.

The two look similar, but you can see differences with a side by side comparison.
I have to wonder why the names were changed! We purchased a B. smithi juvenile a few months ago, this is what we got. Was the company accurate? received_802213246813941.jpeg

Attachments

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Names weren't changed. Imports/individuals had been mis-identified; and a paper came out clarifying which species was which. But the actual taxonomy itself did not change.

sasker

Arachnoprince
We purchased a B. smithi juvenile a few months ago, this is what we got. Was the company accurate?
I am pretty certain that's a B. hamorii. The carapace is too dark and the lower orange banding is not bright enough for a B. annitha.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have to wonder why the names were changed! We purchased a B. smithi juvenile a few months ago, this is what we got. Was the company accurate? View attachment 308059
You'd need to get a clearer photo of the chelicerae in better lighting for me to feel confident in saying, from what I understand looking for chelicerae banding is the easier way to tell - present on B. hamorii but not B. smithi. You'd want to take that clear image and throw it up in the Tarantula Identification gallery.

Do you not trust the seller to have sold you the correct species?

Names weren't changed. Imports/individuals had been mis-identified; and a paper came out clarifying which species was which. But the actual taxonomy itself did not change.
Thanks for the clarification.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. hamorii and B. smithi are separate species.

Basically the hobby B. smithi was misidentified B. hamorii (hamorii was described first IIRC) and the hobby B. annitha is the real B. smithi. There are some slight differences with the markings/cheliceral banding and B. smithi gets larger.

The carapace is too dark
Apparently you can't use the carapace to tell them apart as there's too much variation between specimens.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
We purchased a B. smithi juvenile a few months ago
Was the company accurate?
If the seller is reputable and knows their stuff then there's a good chance you got what you were sold, there's no cheliceral banding (see the hamorii pic below) or black strips through the patella markings so I'm inclined to believe it's smithi

sasker

Arachnoprince
Apparently you can't use the carapace to tell them apart as there's too much variation between specimens.
You are right, I have seen specimen with very light carapaces. But in combination with the banding on the leg, I think it is quite unlikely to be a B. annitha.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's not very accurate. Both were valid described species, B. smithi was described in 1897 while hamorii was described in 1997. It was determined that specimens that were imported in the hobby as B. smithi are in fact B. hamorii based on the location where they were collected.
B. annitha used to be a valid species but after the 2017 revision based on DNA analysis it was determined that it is the same species as B. smithi and is now considered to be a synonym of B. smithi.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If the seller is reputable and knows their stuff then there's a good chance you got what you were sold, there's no cheliceral banding (see the hamorii pic below) or black strips through the patella markings so I'm inclined to believe it's smithi

Dumb question time - is the cheliceral banding ALWAYS present on B. hamorii, or does that vary too?

That's not very accurate. Both were valid described species, B. smithi was described in 1897 while hamorii was described in 1997. It was determined that specimens that were imported in the hobby as B. smithi are in fact B. hamorii based on the location where they were collected.
B. annitha used to be a valid species but after the 2017 revision based on DNA analysis it was determined that it is the same species as B. smithi and is now considered to be a synonym of B. smithi.
Yes, as was clarified above. I was aware the two species were previously described, i'm just tired and used poor wording in my initial post.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaggieAndJonathan

Arachnopeon

Seller was backwater reptiles. Reputable, but we paid for a 4 in and they sent us 2 3/4 in :meh:. I love her though. Her little personality is amazing. I wouldn't trade her for any other T

MaggieAndJonathan

Arachnopeon
You'd need to get a clearer photo of the chelicerae in better lighting for me to feel confident in saying, from what I understand looking for chelicerae banding is the easier way to tell - present on B. hamorii but not B. smithi. You'd want to take that clear image and throw it up in the Tarantula Identification gallery.

Do you not trust the seller to have sold you the correct species?

Thanks for the clarification.
no, they are not. and i am not even in the states to know that.
do a quick search on the forum to see what others think about them...
Ok that definitely sounds right to me. I was disappointed to say the least and they didn't want to help fix the situation at all.

Ok that definitely sounds right to me. I was disappointed to say the least and they didn't want to help fix the situation at all.
But I wouldn't trade her for the world at this point