B. Hamorii sling question

Mason79

Arachnopeon
Here's the scoop. I purchased a 1" sling for my daughter about 3 months ago. It has been buried for about 3 weeks now. I assume it's in the molting process. My question is, approximately how long does this usually last? Everyday my daughter asks me when it will come back out, so I finally figured I'd ask. It has been a good eater and appears pretty healthy, so I'm not too concerned about its health. Temps are about 70f in its enclosure. This is the last pic I got of it on March 5th. Thanks. Btw, pay no attention to the pygmy t rex. He's perfectly healthy

Attachments

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
You are unfortunately not going to receive a clear answer on this. There's a good chance that it's going to molt sooner or later, but it could stay in that burrow for MUCH longer. Up to 6 months in my own experience. I have caught some of my slings out exploring at night, but while they are small and vulnerable, they prefer the safety of a burrow.

Mason79

Arachnopeon
Ok. Thanks for your reply. Before it buried itself, it rarely came out anyways. We'll just be patient

cold blood

Staff member
1" sling in that HUGE enclosure??

In such an over size enclosure a sling may not ever emerge for more than a few minutes every few months.

I would STRONGLY suggest your re-house it to a much smaller enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
A 4oz condiment cup would be a better home for now...at least if you want to see it and have it eat with any regularity.

Mason79

Arachnopeon
Regular eating has not been an issue with it before going into seclusion. It was eating 2 small crickets a week like clockwork. I'm not really a fan of the condiment cups. If I had a large collection, I would probably use them though. I'm far too OCD to have little deli cups sitting around. I understand that's for me and not so much for the T. I never minded that it didn't come out often because of the fact it made its burrow where we could see in. I also understand it's the nature of the beast for them to remain hidden while young and vulnerable. Thanks for the advice though. In 2 years when I've gotten in over my head and own 30 Ts, I'll probably resort to deli cups. Lol