B. hamorii question

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, I realised today that my two hamoriis look a bit different to each other, different shade of markings. Are they the same species? I’m not so versed with brachypelma, I’m more of an OW collector.

They’re both 5.5-6” female, first one is a little bigger

A809F8B4-453A-42B2-ABEB-A35804C1C303.jpeg

DE83CCCF-F754-4146-BCA6-8E72ED678229.jpeg

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Colors fade with time. Next molt will demonstrate vivid color again.

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you bought them from the same person? Maybe one is captive bred and the other one is wild caught.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I can neber remember the identifying charaftaristics of B. hamorii and B. smithi (i want to say markings on the chelicerae and maybe setae color on the legs or something) But at a glance, both species are very similar. Also, there is natural variation within species as well as different localities where they could have been sourced from.

There is also a potential for hybridization between the two.

If you post in the proper forum (Tarantula ID) some of the more taxonomically inclined individuals may be able to help. I suspect though that this thread will be locked by mods for being in the wrong spot soon though.

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
Both are B.hamorii, but you never find two identical spiders even in same species, both are very nice.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
There are apparently two variants of B. hamorii in the hobby. Its possible you have one of each variant, or one is a hybrid, or one is a different species (I didn't study the pics very closely). Check out this thread to see both variants.

Edited to add the link:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/th...ycuspulatus-in-the-hobby.321913/#post-2952831

I can neber remember the identifying charaftaristics of B. hamorii and B. smithi (i want to say markings on the chelicerae and maybe setae color on the legs or something) But at a glance, both species are very similar.
I think its that B. hamorii have white setae on their legs, B. smithi have orange setae. I don't remember the chelicerae differences, though...

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the input everyone, I’ll try the ID section. I also found a great video describing the difference between smithi and hamorii and from what you’ve all said and that video indicated it seems I have two hamoriis.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As mentioned above, there are two variants of hamorii. Both of yours are hamorii.

I don't remember the chelicerae differences, though...
One of the hamorii variants doesn't have cheliceral banding. As you said, hamorii have white setae on the tibia whereas smithi have orange setae. The trochanter can also be used to tell them apart, hamorii is basically solid orange whereas smithi is basically orange/black/orange.

hamorii vs smithi.jpg

This shows the trochanter differences better.

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Feral

Arachnobaron
I feel like the smithi always has a smidge less black shading on the cephalothorax, and the edges of the back on the cephalothorax are more blended/less crisp than the hamorii. Is it just me?

I mean, I def think what I'm talking about isn't near as pronounced a difference as all the excellent info @The Grym Reaper gave. His info is much better to differentiate, far less subtle or subjective. But I think the difference in carapace shading is there... or am I crazy?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I feel like the smithi always has a smidge less black shading on the cephalothorax, and the edges of the back on the cephalothorax are more blended/less crisp than the hamorii. Is it just me?
There's way too much variation in cephalothorax colouration between specimens of both species for it to be reliably used to ID them.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very informative, thank you everyone! Especially Grym Reaper

I also thought I had 2 G rosea for years to find out I had porteri the whole time, I’m really behind on my classifications, keep using haplopelma for some of my cyriopagopus as well *facepalm*