B. Hamorii missing leg

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
Hey all, so earlier this afternoon I purchased a juvenile B. Hamorii from one of my local reptile centres, but when I came home I noticed that my tarantula had a missing leg. I didnt mind and decided against taking it back. I will leave a photo but I just wanted to know how long this will take to grow back. It shouldnt cause the tarantula any issues right? As you can see its the leg in the front. I also have a T. Stirmi with a regenerated leg (not bought from the same dealer, but I also only realised this as I got him home) and he seems to be doing fine. I would assume this will just grow back and not cause any further issues? Not sure why this is such a common issue lately..

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Spiders have a defense mechanism. They can throw off one of their legs at any time in case of danger. This usually grows back completely within two to three molts and will look like the remaining legs. Personally, I believe that you should acquire this knowledge before buying a spider.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would assume this will just grow back and not cause any further issues?
I don't have personal experience with this yet, but to my understanding, yes it will just grow back in a couple molts and not cause issues... It's only problematic when they lose enough limbs to make hunting/eating difficult.

Original post sounded like you knew that and are just looking for confirmation...there are a bunch of older posts with examples if you had any specific questions. Someone had a T with like three legs and one pedipalp...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Loosing a leg is nothing that poses concern for you or you tarantula, it will regrow it in subsequent molts!

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
No problem at all! It will grow back fine in a couple of molts. Nothing to worry about. :happy:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
OP, were you concerned about it being a front leg specifically? (S)he will still be able to capture prey and do all the tarantula things just fine. First molt, the leg will look a bit thin, but should be looking like the rest in the next molt or two after that.