B. hamorii is prepping herself for a molt !!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a suspicion that would be molting at some point in Fall. When I fed her a month ago, she only took one of her two crickets and made half-hearted attempts to catch the second one roaming around. It eventually died in a corner, far from the T. Or that she killed it during the night and left it there for me to pick up. Who knows ?

Anyways, there's no question about the event given that she's in a corner, webbing intensely and dropping urticating hairs all over it. So likely later tonight, my precious Ginger will have a brand new suit, put on some size and will regain her appetite in a few weeks time :) I will update this thread once she's done. I've had this T for 9 years now, so she ought to do well.

See you later, everybody !

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats, take pictures and feel free to share them, before and after.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As I anticipated, she molted out fine :) She's currently on her back, marshalling her strength to roll back on her side. I'll provide more pictures once she's hardened up. I had to celebrate this joyous occasion with a beer, so I cracked open one of my favourite IPAs. And I've included a quick shot of everyone in the cabinet.

Enjoy ! IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As I anticipated, she molted out fine :) She's currently on her back, marshalling her strength to roll back on her side. I'll provide more pictures once she's hardened up. I had to celebrate this joyous occasion with a beer, so I cracked open one of my favourite IPAs. And I've included a quick shot of everyone in the cabinet.

Enjoy ! View attachment 360955 View attachment 360956 View attachment 360957
Congrats on the molt, but to be honest all four of those aren’t quite set up properly for a terrestrial, there’s hardly any substrate in there so there’s a lot of climbing height, and all four are of the heavy bodied terrestrial type. There’s is a fall risk with how they are set up, granted it’s not super far but you need to fill that up roughly around half with substrate to mitigate any fall risk. Might sound extreme but it happens.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on the molt, but to be honest all four of those aren’t quite set up properly for a terrestrial, there’s hardly any substrate in there so there’s a lot of climbing height, and all four are of the heavy bodied terrestrial type. There’s is a fall risk with how they are set up, granted it’s not super far but you need to fill that up roughly around half with substrate to mitigate any fall risk. Might sound extreme but it happens.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know all-too well that my substrate level is on the low side. I've been holding off for adding more since they generally don't climb a whole lot. Only my boehmei occasionally ventures on the ceiling...

Something to really consider. Don't want to lose any of my precious babies.

Definitely a project for the coming months.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Something to really consider. Don't want to lose any of my precious babies.

Definitely a project for the coming months.
As long as you’re willing to consider it!

Think of it this way, it’s far less stressful to add more substrate, than an injury to one of your precious would be on them.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About 5 years ago, I was mindlessly smitten with B. boehmei's loud colours. Now, the more I see my B. hamorii grow, I am beginning to think that the all-time classic is by far better looking. Here is my girl, 1 week post-molt, in a yoga stretch ;)

IMG_0040.JPG

Kichimark

Arachnopeon
About 5 years ago, I was mindlessly smitten with B. boehmei's loud colours. Now, the more I see my B. hamorii grow, I am beginning to think that the all-time classic is by far better looking. Here is my girl, 1 week post-molt, in a yoga stretch ;)
I love that name you gave her, Ginger. My B. hamorii will always have top spot in my heart.