b. Hamorii growth rate?

brenxbby

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a Mexican red knee sling that is about 1 inch, just curious about the growth rate of these little guys? Thanks :)

Pepper

Arachnosquire
its so slow my guy. I got a 1/4" sling 2 and a half years ago and its just now about 3-3.5". And its a male which tend to grow faster. Patience

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The first female I ever had went from 0.5" to 4.5" in three years. The one I have now took longer, but was on a much lighter feeding schedule for several years as I dealt with life's curveballs.
I use Aphonopelma chalcodes as a baseline for slow growth....B. hamorii grow MUCH faster than them! My four year old A. chalcodes group are at about 2-2.25" now, where as the three 0.25" B. hamorii I got this spring are already at about 0.75".

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got my female as a juvie but took her 2 years to go from 7cm to 12.5cm. That's less time than it took my T. albopilosus (Nicaragua) & B. albiceps slings to reach 5cm.

Whiplash Girlchild

Arachnopeon
Slow as can be, but it is all about how much you feed them and sex.

My little sling is barely over 1''1/4 and I've had it for about two years now.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Slow as can be, but it is all about how much you feed them and sex.

My little sling is barely over 1''1/4 and I've had it for about two years now.
I've reared dozens and dozens of Brachypelma and Tliltocatl over the years, and have noticed no difference in growth rates between males and females. In some other groups of tarantulas such as the Harpactirinae subfamily, males and females grow at the same rate as well, however males mature sooner than the females. The growth rate is the same, but maturity rate is different.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I've reared dozens and dozens of Brachypelma and Tliltocatl over the years, and have noticed no difference in growth rates between males and females. In some other groups of tarantulas such as the Harpactirinae subfamily, males and females grow at the same rate as well, however males mature sooner than the females. The growth rate is the same, but maturity rate is different.
Same experience here with the same species. Never saw any difference between male and female growth rates.

amberd

Arachnopeon
Wow! Painfully slow lol, anyways thank you :)
Oh my gosh! Mine doesn’t seem any bigger than I when I first got it 4 months ago or so. Looks healthy though. It also hasn’t ate for a month or so and still after four months it has not even had a molt! Doesn’t move around much. So far it’s been a bit of a boring T. I’m sure the wait will be worth it though. And I will be happy to have it for a long… long time. 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Growth rate is subjective really, it may be slow compared to some other species but faster than others, I have a few species that are epically slow and I have to remind myself that its behavior is natural to it and it is part of the unique experience of keeping that particular species and not compare it or wish it to grow any different than it naturally does. Why be dissatisfied with something such as "slow" growth rate that is completely natural to that species or individual?

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Saw this thread and figured I’d ask since I’m curious; is the slow growth rate of B. hamorii and other Brachypelma spp. due primarily to them molting infrequently or gaining very little size with each molt? Or is it a combination of both?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Saw this thread and figured I’d ask since I’m curious; is the slow growth rate of B. hamorii and other Brachypelma spp. due primarily to them molting infrequently or gaining very little size with each molt? Or is it a combination of both?
I think molting infrequently with longer molt cycles as compared to an LP or an A. geniculata. I haven't given much observation on size gain from molt to molt. Though I have observed that A. chalcodes especially specimens that are smaller than 2" gain little size from a molt. A. chalcodes is the slowest growing species from my experience of species I've kept.
Growth rate is subjective really, it may be slow compared to some other species but faster than others, I have a few species that are epically slow and I have to remind myself that its behavior is natural to it and it is part of the unique experience of keeping that particular species and not compare it or wish it to grow any different than it naturally does. Why be dissatisfied with something such as "slow" growth rate that is completely natural to that species or individual?
It is slow, and I think any fast growing Brachypelma hamorii is an exception. Regarding the comparison to some other species but faster than others, I'm curious to know what other species you would consider slower than Brachypelma. Only thing I can think of is many of the Aphonopelma spp., maybe even some Tlitocatl spp., and P. muticus. I don't think OP or anyone in the thread are "dissatisfied." If they are, get another tarantula :rofl:. It's an interesting point you brought up of the particular slow growth rate being a part of the keeping experience of some species - I think this is spot on

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Always consider genus and species into consideration. But overall, there is a lot at play as well such as care, feeding, temps, inidividual specimen, etc.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Old thread! My B emilia was slow growing -- as an adult, she hasn't moulted in a few years. I think it's just a Brachypelma thingie.

If your sling is just 1" -- expect to enjoy yours growing for a L O N G time. Sounds like an enjoyable experience, to me. Who knows, this sling may be a juvie now! lol :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is slow, and I think any fast growing Brachypelma hamorii is an exception. Regarding the comparison to some other species but faster than others, I'm curious to know what other species you would consider slower than Brachypelma. Only thing I can think of is many of the Aphonopelma spp., maybe even some Tlitocatl spp., and P. muticus. I don't think OP or anyone in the thread are "dissatisfied." If they are, get another tarantula :rofl:. It's an interesting point you brought up of the particular slow growth rate being a part of the keeping experience of some species - I think this is spot on
Thanks I think it is a valid point as well! Um there’s Grammostola, Aphonopelma, Harpactirella, etc.

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
If I may join this thread, I got my B Emilia at 1 inch or a little less, around three years ago. She’s molted about 4 or 5 times and she is bigger. I’m just excited for mine to be around 3-4 inches. It ain’t super far if she keeps up her rate (of molting)

Havent sexed it yet but I’m calling it a “she”.

Attachments