B. hamorii Curled and Lethargic

Spiderguy1992

Arachnopeon
Yesterday I went in my tarantula room and find my 4.25” female B. hamorii curled and the top of her abdomen slightly wrinkled. I have no idea what happened to her. The night before she seemed fine. I attempted to feed her a pre killed superworm, but she just backed away from it so I immediately removed it. I’ve since added an additional water dish directly in front of her and placed her front legs in it. She appeared to attempt to drink a bit but has hardly moved in 24 hours. I tried touching her with a paintbrush and she barely moves her legs.

Yesterday I went in my tarantula room and find my 4.25” female B. hamorii curled and the top of her abdomen slightly wrinkled. I have no idea what happened to her. The night before she seemed fine. I attempted to feed her a pre killed superworm, but she just backed away from it so I immediately removed it. I’ve since added an additional water dish directly in front of her and placed her front legs in it. She appeared to attempt to drink a bit but has hardly moved in 24 hours. I tried touching her with a paintbrush and she barely moves her legs.
She she just molted 3 weeks ago, and Thursday was my first attempt to feed her.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Has she had access to a water dish?
Were there and temperature spikes in your house?

Nothing in the picture gives me any idea on what the issue is other than dehydration. She looks to be still fairly plump, considering you haven't fed it since it molted 3 weeks ago.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It looks a bit concerning with the legs tucked under. If it’s dehydration and it’s drinking out of the water dish that is a good sign.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Check the old molt for the presence of the sucking stomach. If its not molted properly and still stuck inside the T she will not be able to eat or drink from the blockage.
Pic of a sucking stomach for reference (circled).

2018-01-23 15.40.48_LI.jpg

Spiderguy1992

Arachnopeon
I would put her mouthparts in the water dish directly
I did.

Check the old molt for the presence of the sucking stomach. If its not molted properly and still stuck inside the T she will not be able to eat or drink from the blockage.
Pic of a sucking stomach for reference (circled).

View attachment 351430
Unfortunately I threw the molt away. I have a picture but it isn’t a great one.

Has she had access to a water dish?
Were there and temperature spikes in your house?

Nothing in the picture gives me any idea on what the issue is other than dehydration. She looks to be still fairly plump, considering you haven't fed it since it molted 3 weeks ago.
She has always had a water dish. And I thought it was best to wait a few weeks after a molt before feeding at this size. There have been no temp spikes that I’m aware of.

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
She has always had a water dish. And I thought it was best to wait a few weeks after a molt before feeding at this size.
Sorry, I didn't articulate what I meant. I wasn't saying you should have fed her earlier :) was just saying she's still nice and plump

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Unfortunately I threw the molt away. I have a picture but it isn’t a great one.
yeah the carapace is covering the part where you need to check. I think I see part of it (thin sec) but not sure.
I hope she takes a turn for the better, Good Luck

Spiderguy1992

Arachnopeon
I think I can see it there?
Yeah I think it was there. Until Thursday there were no signs of any problems. She was walking around and seemed totally normal.

And in case anyone was wondering. I never spray any insecticides or anything like that in my house.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
This doesn't sound good. Can you get a photo (perhaps a side view) that better shows the wrinkling of the abdomen? I wonder if she could have fallen and sustained some kind of internal injury. Please keep us updated.

Spiderguy1992

Arachnopeon
This doesn't sound good. Can you get a photo (perhaps a side view) that better shows the wrinkling of the abdomen? I wonder if she could have fallen and sustained some kind of internal injury. Please keep us updated.
Here’s a picture of her abdomen. I can’t really see any wrinkling now that I get a better look. I’m not sure if she fell but I don’t believe so. I’ll admit there may be slightly more distance between the top of her enclosure then there should be, but it’s still not much more than 1.5x her leg span to the top. She also was in the same position I found her in the night before when I tried to feed her, just curled.

Attachments

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Any update ? Did you try to flip it over and give it drops of water ?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I haven’t tried to flip her over. I’ve just left her mouth parts in her water dish to allow her to drink if she needs too.
After reading all the posts here that is the only thing I could think of for you to try. I was hoping something worked so if I ever have this problem in the future I can try whatever works for you here. ROB C used CBD oil in his water dish and claims that worked to fix one of his T's that was knocking on death's door. Not sure if anyone saw that youtube video or not.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
ROB C used CBD oil in his water dish and claims that worked to fix one of his T's that was knocking on death's door. Not sure if anyone saw that youtube video or not.
Is this a thing....?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I may have misquoted him. I don't think he knew for sure if it was indeed the CBD or not but his T was back to normal within 24 hours.
Gotcha! Interesting I don’t think I’d ever consider doing anything like that, but hey what do I know maybe it did help!?