B. gigas reaching maturity?

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am reading the biography by Michiel. What is the maximum instar a B. gigas can reach? Is it 5 or 6. I'm pretty sure mine are at 5th instar, but they're not as big as I expected. I will post a size comparison photo tonight. I'm trying to determine what my chances are ending up with a male.

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i remember they are same as jacksonis.
so, male 5th female 6th!

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are also exceptions to the rule like with all buthids. I've personally had a Babycurus gigas male mature at 6th instar. There may also be cases where Babycurus gigas matures at 7th instar "probably rare though". Buthids can be tricky at times.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am reading the biography by Michiel. What is the maximum instar a B. gigas can reach? Is it 5 or 6. I'm pretty sure mine are at 5th instar, but they're not as big as I expected. I will post a size comparison photo tonight. I'm trying to determine what my chances are ending up with a male.
instar 5 is indeed immature. Females: instar 6, males: instar 5 or 6. The male- female ratio is not very unfavourable, so it depends on the number of specimens you have. But since you say: you are pretty sure, meaning I don't know exactly, they are instar 5, maybe you should post a pic.
If you have 5-6 specimens, the chanches are you have a male amongst them.

cheers, Michiel

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you get the idea of the size of them with a comparison to a US quarter.

This one is the larger and older of the two.

This one just moulted.

Here is the freshly moulted one close up. I got them as 3rd instar November 09. I'm pretty sure they have only moulted twice since then. If you all think they're already 6 instar then maybe I'm wrong. I'm an idiot for not keeping track. . . There is always next time!

Last edited: