B. emilia - Rubbing underside on substrate, no spinneret action

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm a completely new T keeper, got my very first one a month ago as a sub-1in DLS sling. It eats and molted and digs and does other strange but delightful tarantula things, so I figured I was doing something right, up until today. I noticed it rubbing the underside of its abdomen on the substrate, with no webbing or movement of the spinnerets that I could tell, and got concerned it was a sign of an impaction. I don't see any whiteness around the anus, so I'm not sure.

But has anyone noticed a T doing this when they're about to molt? Do molts "itch"? It's also doing a lot of digging/earth moving and some normal webbing right now that I can't help but figure I'm being paranoid, what with it being my first tarantula ever. Such a busy little thing! I attached some videos (that hopefully work, I had to compress them using Handbrake) so I hope they help.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah those are the spinnerets webbing the ground, tarantulas will lay silk mats around the perimeter of their enclosures.

The specimen doesn't look to be in pre molt IMO, you're definitely overthinking here.

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
Yeah those are the spinnerets webbing the ground, tarantulas will lay silk mats around the perimeter of their enclosures.

The specimen doesn't look to be in pre molt IMO, you're definitely overthinking here.
Whew, good to know I'm worrying over nothing! I just didn't see the two little "fingers" moving like all the other times I've seen it web and wasn't sure if it was actually touching the ground with the smaller spinnerets when it was doing that. It's so small, I can't quite tell if any webbing is coming out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but figure I'm being paranoid
Good videos for me at least. Healthy concern is normal for your first one etc, helicopter parenting is pure over kill but understandable. The secret is READING as much as possible here, asking questions, and MOST importantly observe your T REGULARLY.

99.9% of the time people's strange behavior they report is normal. They don't know this for many reasons.

Last edited:

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
Good videos for me at least. Healthy concern is normal for your first one etc, helicopter parenting is pure over kill but understandable. The secret is READING as much as possible here, asking questions, and MOST importantly observe your REGULARLY.

99.9% of the time people's strange behavior they report is normal. They don't know this for many reasons.
I tried to read and learn as much as I could without hands-on experience before diving in, so I hope in the future I don't ask too many "obvious" questions. And I definitely like to bring the little guy to my computer desk after work for observation to get to know it better; so far it doesn't seem to mind the vibrations from my computer or keyboard like I thought it might. About the only time it reacts and hides is when it sometimes notices me get up and sit down. I didn't realize how much fun it is to watch the little thing dig and renovate. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I tried to read and learn as much as I could without hands-on experience before diving in, so I hope in the future I don't ask too many "obvious" questions. And I definitely like to bring the little guy to my computer desk after work for observation to get to know it better; so far it doesn't seem to mind the vibrations from my computer or keyboard like I thought it might. About the only time it reacts and hides is when it sometimes notices me get up and sit down. I didn't realize how much fun it is to watch the little thing dig and renovate. :)
Man, I'm just glad you provided video. You know how many idiots come here write "what's wrong w/my T', and leave ZERO info..TONS!!!!

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
Man, I'm just glad you provided video. You know how many idiots come here write "what's wrong w/my T', and leave ZERO info..TONS!!!!
Yeah I saw that on a lot of threads as I lurked about lol, I don't get it since most everyone has a smartphone nowadays that takes videos. Though actually uploading it might be the tricky part for people, but I really recommend Handbrake for trimming the filesize for forum upload if their phone takes massive videos like mine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I saw that on a lot of threads as I lurked about lol, I don't get it since most everyone has a smartphone nowadays that takes videos. Though actually uploading it might be the tricky part for people, but I really recommend Handbrake for trimming the filesize for forum upload if their phone takes massive videos like mine.
I hear ya. In the beginning you try and help, and after years of seeing the same, you don't have time for those who are not prepared. The next worst one is they upload a few pics, that are typically out of focus or too far away from subject, and write "do you see that dot , what is that"

People who do that, ie don't check their OUT of FOCUS source material are just as bad. I usually write, "you tell me".