B.dubia food

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a quick question about food for B.dubia. I'm getting a few and was planning on feeding them dog food, with some fruits and vegetables. I have a bulldog and was hoping just to use his food, designed specifically for bulldogs. From what I can tell from looking on here is you dont want a food with too much protein in it. On the bag it says it has 24% crude protein, 14% fat. Is this acceptable? Any input would be helpful, thanks!

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello my friend,

My dubia colony is growing fast and doing well. Mine refuse dry dog food. I do feed them small amounts of canned dog food. They really love and go nuts over just about any canned or fresh vegtables and fruit. If given a choice they always go for the fruits and vegtables first. They love oranges, carrots, pears, apples, green beans, ect.

Hope this helps,

Tom

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I normally use Iams. Its actually not canned food. It is moist and comes in a packet, however, I have used Iams canned food at times and it works just as well.

The only reason I feed them expensive dog food is because my dog eats it. I think that even the cheap food would do just as well. Is the food you feed your bulldog dry? If it is just add water to a small amount of it so it becomes very wet. Don't give them a lot because within 2 days it will go bad.

If you have any more questions comments please feel free to contact me.

Your fellow dubia keeper,

Tom

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes its a dry food that I have. I was just making sure that at 24% protein, it wouldnt hurt the roaches. I'd hate to buy a bunch and kill them.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I use unmedicated chick mash (bedding, feed, whatever... ask for it, they'll know what you're talking about)... it's like $8 at a feed/farm store for like a 50lb bag. Supplement with veggie and fruit scraps from our normal food preparation, and there ya go. I can't get them to quit breeding. There is something to the premium foods like the Roach Feed that cricketfood.com sells, because I noticed a distinct difference in my colony when I used that to start them off. Brighter colors, more vitality, even a couple of males that would get ambitious and do the "hop-fly". However, at 1/25th the price, the chick mash keeps them alive, keeps htem able to live and breed, and overall seems to do the trick. I I were raising them for resale, I might feed them a couple of cycles of the "good food" before sending them out, but for everyday... cheaper is better. :)

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My dubia colony consumes about 3/4 cup of dry dogfood a day, as well fruits/veggies/greens/meat/fish etc. They eat more of the dogfood if you grind it up in a food proccesor or coffee grinder. If you give them whole kibbles they will grab one and run off with it and it's difficult to determine how much they are actually eating till you clean the enclosure and see how much has accumulated on the bottom. I don't have this issue when I grind it. I use mostly premium dogfood as a friend has a petstore and gives me returned bags but I have also used cheap purina and they seem to like it just as much. I have chickens and have used the chick mash which they also eat but it is one of the last things to be eaten if there are other choices.
A funny thing, someone gave me a can of alpo dogfood, I figured everything would eat it.. It turns out none of them will eat it, four species of roaches and chickens who eat virtually anything. Dont know whats in that stuff, must be nasty though...

Bill

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've always been told that the higher the protein the better. Cat food generally is higher in protein than dog food which is higher than chicken food. Fish food is usually higher than all of them. I use all, cheapest i can find, give 2 or three kinds at a time. My discoids love the chicken food but the dubias would eat it last. I give produce 2-3 times a week as well. I suppose it goes that better quality food will yield better results and healthier feeders, better for the end users i suppose.

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T-Rex Cal Plus Cricket Reptile Formula try that for starters, my crickets never finished it. I went thorugh one bottle week+ of less than 100 head dubia's.

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For my Dubias, I use the cheapest dry dog food soaked in water until soft, add some dry milk powder, mashed banana and/or any other soft fruit and mash it all up. They can't eat enough of it. But my lateralis and hissers don't seem to care for it.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use dry dog food moistened with water, cricket feed, KIX cereal (they love it) and apples.