B. dubia climbing up sides

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just brought home 55 of these and put them in the Sterlite tub that I setup and as I was watching them I noticed that one sub adult was starting to slowly climb up the side, then one of the nymph's started to quickly do the same. :confused: I'm not to worried about the larger ones getting out just the nymph's.

The tub I have is this style but colored like the bottom pic.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

The younge ones are more likely to try and climb. The reason they can climb some is because their tiny little feet find the tiniest irregularities in the surface to hold on to.

My adults and older nymphs never climb. If they are kept in the dark and have the proper environment they will not climb, at least this applys to my colony.

One thing you can do to insure that nobody climbs out is to line the inside of the tank with vaseline. Do this about 3-5 inches below the top of the tub. I make the vaseline smear from 2-3 inches wide. I am also very generouse with the vaseline. (actually I use bag balm, its a vaseline like salv that is an antibacterial. This stuff is made for the utters of cows, but it is the best topical salv for human use out there) Make sure you do not leave any gaps without the vaseline as the babys will, if disturbed, try to climb it out of fright.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
And an alternative to vaseline is taping. Get a hold of some inch wide packing tape. Get some really smooth kind. That holds them back, doesn't get messy and needs changing about every 10 years only I'd guess. Has helped me prevent any escapes for soon to be 3 years.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll pick some tape up tomorrow and give that a try.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some of those type of containers aren't glossy/shiny on the inside. They look dullish and aren't quite as smooth. These containers make it easier for the bugs to climb. I use the clear rubbermaids and haven't seen any that were able to climb up.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I got two strips of the packing tape placed on the inside so hopefully it will do the job, although I'm still paranoid that the little effers are going to get out.

Some of those type of containers aren't glossy/shiny on the inside. They look dullish and aren't quite as smooth. These containers make it easier for the bugs to climb. I use the clear rubbermaids and haven't seen any that were able to climb up.

Yeah mine isn't the glossy finish. :wall: I guess when I read that they can't climb I was expecting exactly that. :rolleyes:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well I got two strips of the packing tape placed on the inside so hopefully it will do the job, although I'm still paranoid that the little effers are going to get out.

Yeah mine isn't the glossy finish. :wall: I guess when I read that they can't climb I was expecting exactly that. :rolleyes:
Instead of worrying I'd try it out. Hold some babies onto the tape and let them try grip it. If you bought the right kind they won't be able to and you can stop worrying ;).