B. Dubia Babies

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long can I expect B.Dubia to start mating and making babies? I have about 5 Female and 4 males and I've had then for a couple weeks and haven't seen a nymph yet. I got water crystals and gutload food available, and am going to put in apples and other fruits in pretty soon, and the temperature is probably hovering ~80.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if mature any time soon.they take about 3 months to mature.dont bother the colony.counting roaches is a bad habit.

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if mature any time soon.they take about 3 months to mature.dont bother the colony.counting roaches is a bad habit.
oooo... yeah i have 5 mature females and 4 mature males with ~40 of inch big nymphs.

Don't disturb them huh...? dang, I disturb them all the time to feed to my T's... is there someway I can feed my T's and not disturb them?...i guess not, guess I'll have to go back to crickets for a while.

simon780

Arachnopeon
Ya, just leave them alone, and keep them dark, they will drop more babies~~

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What do the babies look like?

I'm keeping mine with discoids and haven't learned to tell the babies apart yet.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
heheh... if only preventing roaches from breeding was as simple as "disturbing them twice a day"... ;)

cheers! :D
- munis

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
better yet, what do the eggs look like? I imagine little white translucent pods...

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
b. dubia are "live-bearers"... they store the eggcase inside their body until it is ready to hatch, so you won't see any eggs..

cheers! :D
- munis

better yet, what do the eggs look like? I imagine little white translucent pods...

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sweet that makes things easier, and should i have an equal amount of boys to girls? or is it ok to feed off some boys?

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can feed off some of the boys.
One of the key things I've found with dubia females is that they don't like to be disturbed at all. The more you can leave them alone the more babies will appear in your tub. Put the tub somewhere where you just have to open it once or twice a week for feeding.

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long can I expect B.Dubia to start mating and making babies? I have about 5 Female and 4 males and I've had then for a couple weeks and haven't seen a nymph yet. I got water crystals and gutload food available, and am going to put in apples and other fruits in pretty soon, and the temperature is probably hovering ~80.
I started with about 100 mostly large nymphs last fall. It took 4 or 5 months to really get them going. I now have more than I know what to do with. PM me for more info.

Cliff:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crank those temps up too. I have my colony on a lap heating mat in my dark closet and this lets them feed all hours and breed all hours, I am getting 100's of babies every few weeks.
But I did not start so small I started with 150 mixed adults and juvies. My temps are around 89.