B. craniifer - Preferred Diet?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two very lovely B. craniifer in my care, who I've had for roughly four months so far with no problems. However, I noticed that they seem to be very... finicky. I feed them a great variety of fruits, veggies, greens, gutloads, dog food, etc. but it seems like they have a different preference every few days. Every time I think I found a food they like, they shun it. It worries me because I have to change their feeding so much, and prefer at least a degree of consistency so that I know they are getting a stable, staple diet. For example, they used to love berries, but they haven't touched them in a month. They never ate spinach, but spinach is all they'll eat lately. At one point, the younger of the two refused to touch anything but soaked dog food. It's driving me nuts! Is there a few foods these guys love, more importantly need, and will likely eat? I'm very concerned about balanced nutrition for them!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Variety is important, so mabye they are bored of th same thing.

Some favorites I can think would be apples,bananas,carrots,grapes,peaches,watermelon,romaine lettuce,moist dog or cat kibble,cooked hamburger meat (plain), and as a treat once a month I give mine moistened fruit loops.

Too much sugar isnt good so thats why that is a treat.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, I give them multiple kinds of foods at once - they just seem to randomly, weirdly decide they love a food one day and hate it the next, which equals a lot of wasted or moldy food. I am mostly looking for several items they enjoy that I can feed regularly, so thanks so much for your suggestions!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Regular food I feed is the moist cat kibble,apples,bananas, and romaine lettuce. Bananas are their favorite, but they like the flavor of the cat food too.

And the hamburger meat would be their 2nd favorite, though I dont give it too often.

They get bored of the romaine lettuce so I replace that with the apple or banana.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what bugman said -- perfect. i keep mine in a dark closet at 85 degrees and have been knee deep in baby crannies ever since I purchased the lil' buggers 2 yrs ago.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for posting that info. I've been having problems with mine too. I just have some little nymphs and I can't seem to find something they really like. They're really picky compared to my other roaches. I'll try the romaine lettuce and bananna though. I've been giving them orange, apple, popcorn, oatmeal and catfood but they don't really eat that much of it.