B. Boehmei

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm new to the boards and also to Tarantulas but I have been reading a lot over the last few days. My first T was left on my doorstep and I'm now pretty hooked :eek:

I already have a B. vagans (1 inch) a B. emilia (1 inch) and a G. aureostriata (2cm). I have a new B. boehmei (2 inch) arriving on Tuesday. Do I keep the new one like the other 2 Brachy's, on the slightly dryer side with water dish?

I have read that the B. boehmei is rather more skittish than the others that I have but would prefer to have first hand knowledge from those that actually keep them.

Feel free to give any other info I may need. I'm all ears and more than willing to listen.
Thanks

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's slightly more skittish but only about as skittish as a vagans is compared to the red knee. Mum's boehmei is a little character he tries to attack the water and get splashed and then does this sort of bucking movement around the tank. So she has called him wally.

Slightly drier should be fine with a water dish, we overflow his once in a while to create a little humidity and she does it more before he moults. But other then that the same as the other brachypelmas.

LMS

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Just keep a full water dish and don't worry about humidity. I wouldn't wet the substrate; Brachys like it dry. And raising humidity doesn't aid molting, it's a myth. Internal moisture is more important, so feed it good gutloaded crickets and always leave a water dish.

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's slightly more skittish but only about as skittish as a vagans is compared to the red knee. Mum's boehmei is a little character he tries to attack the water and get splashed and then does this sort of bucking movement around the tank. So she has called him wally.

Slightly drier should be fine with a water dish, we overflow his once in a while to create a little humidity and she does it more before he moults. But other then that the same as the other brachypelmas.

LMS
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your mum's one sounds like a right wee character lol.

I cant wait for mine to get here now. I have only been living with T's for a couple of weeks but I'm loving it and learning as much as I can. Its great to have forums like this.

Elaine

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just keep a full water dish and don't worry about humidity. I wouldn't wet the substrate; Brachys like it dry. And raising humidity doesn't aid molting, it's a myth. Internal moisture is more important, so feed it good gutloaded crickets and always leave a water dish.
Will do. The substrate is slightly damp at the moment but will dry a little more before Tuesday if I stick it next to the radiator.

I have some well fed crickets here that should fill it up and water dish ready :D

Thanks Saddlepatch

Elaine

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome,Elaine! You're off to a good start, you have a nice collection already! I agree with Saddlepatch - I've never worried about humidity with any of my Brachys, just give them drinking water.

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome,Elaine! You're off to a good start, you have a nice collection already! I agree with Saddlepatch - I've never worried about humidity with any of my Brachys, just give them drinking water.
Thanks for the welcome Bonesmama :) My little lot are fabulous but once the B. boehmei arrives I wont get anymore until I'm sure I'm doing right by the ones already here. That is unless I'm too tempted by the GBB lol.

Thanks also for the advice

Elaine