B boehmei Sling Question

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Near the end of April I got my second T, and first sling, a half inch B boehmei. The other day, upon opening his container to offer him food, I noticed that it was getting musty, sooo I had to get him out, empty it, rebed it, all that good stuff, as well as add more holes.. In doing so, I decided to change his water, and he now has a little dish- a pop bottle cap, with fishtank gravel (rinsed in burning hot water, repeatedly) to prevent drowning or hopefully, the thing from being moldy. Heres some pics of his setup, before I added the dish, but after changing his substrate, and one of the tupperware dish hes living in. Anything look wrong, do you think he needs more holes? anyhting like that? Im still terrified I might do something wrong!

(there are more holes on the lid)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing looks wrong to me but I would not give a sling that size a water dish until it reaches around 2 or 2 1/2 inches. Then I would offer up a cap of water. Until then I would just lightly mist the side of the container a couple of times a week. That's all I would do different. Stop worrying. Sounds like your taking good care of your T.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
THe modling probably occured because of overmisting and not enough ventilation. How often did you mist it? Did you add anymore holes, since you found the mold, into the container?

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, your sling doesn't need a water dish, only have a part of the ground moist, I have a sling of B. Bohemei too, it's about 3/4".

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did like weekly, and even then it was just placing a drop or two of water on the side of the container. And yes I added holes, but that didnt help. Thats why im asking if the dish would be a bad idea, even the smallest bit of water, and it smelled musty. I dont know what else to do

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 4 B. boehmei slings all about 1/4". I keep them in small containers like that with about 10 toothpick sized holes. I use peat moss for substrate and mist 1 side of the substrate about once a week or so.

They are actually pretty tough to kill, even as slings.

You can let the substrate get almost totally dry before you mist it again, that should help keep the mold down.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have B. boehmi slings kept both in film cannisters with small holes and delicups with small holes. I live in a tropical area where mold and fungus proliferate at the slightest chance, yet I havent had the problem you have. Am more inclined to think your molds might be due to your substrate. I microwave my coco peat for 2 minutes at high, before I store them for future use. You seem to have dried leaves and such topping your substrate. IMO, while these look good, they might be your source of molds. Although just new to the hobby myself, I have learned that while they are still slings, it is always better to keep the enclosure and substrates simple. This allows you to be able to observe the T better, feed it, and rear it properly. As long as you keep the substrate damp, the slings can extract moisture from it. Keeping a sling's enclosure simple and bare also allows you to inspect it for other organisms that may have been brought in by your feeders. Mites and other crawlies that might be detrimental to your sling's welfare. I have a total of 40 slings to date, and I havent had a problem yet with my set up... moist cocopeat and enclosure. Just my .02. hope this helps...

SentinelPokie

Arachnopeon
fine

To me everything seems find just dont over complicate the enclosure or move it around a lot that stresses it out a lot. Ihave 2 B boehmei juvies and theyre at the 2 1/2 inch mark right now