B. Boehmei not touching the substrate

TaraJoela

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new to Tarantula keeping, I watch keepers on yt and read forums online to learn more, but I don't understand why my Brachypelma Boehmei; that recently molted like a week ago; doesn't like to be in it's substrate, I rehoused my fireleg 2 days after molting, I used the same substrate and added a bit more because I rehoused her to a little wider enclosure, it's been like 2 days after the rehouse I noticed that she's always in the walls of her enclosure, So I decided to put a hide inside, now she's always on the top of her hide, does she not like the substrate? she hasn't eaten yet because she's staying on the walls of her enclosure.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Hi, I'm new to Tarantula keeping, I watch keepers on yt and read forums online to learn more, but I don't understand why my Brachypelma Boehmei; that recently molted like a week ago; doesn't like to be in it's substrate, I rehoused my fireleg 2 days after molting, I used the same substrate and added a bit more because I rehoused her to a little wider enclosure, it's been like 2 days after the rehouse I noticed that she's always in the walls of her enclosure, So I decided to put a hide inside, now she's always on the top of her hide, does she not like the substrate? she hasn't eaten yet because she's staying on the walls of her enclosure.
Number 1, NEVER bother a freshly molted tarantula. You should've given it at least a week to rest.

Pack the substrate down if you didn't and LEAVE IT ALONE

TaraJoela

Arachnopeon
Number 1, NEVER bother a freshly molted tarantula. You should've given it at least a week to rest.

Pack the substrate down if you didn't and LEAVE IT ALONE
Ok thank you for the advise sir,I didn't know that she needs more time to rest, I'll just leave her alone next time she molts and I'll try packing the substrate down. Thank you so much I'm still trying to learn and I'll do this, Again, thank you.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
It is not uncommon for tarantulas to climb the walls or otherwise avoid the substrate after a rehousing. I think it is a safety factor for them as they don’t know what is down there and it is a new environment for them.

Also the substrate may feel different.

And as was stated, it is best to leave tarantulas alone during and after a molt while their exoskeleton hardens.

Hold off on feeding as it’s fangs need to harden. The delay in feeding varies on the age/ life stage of the tarantula as younger ones can harden quicker.

What size is your T and feel free to post a picture or two of it and it’s enclosure.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I hope it is a small sling and not a big animal... After a molt the animal only needs rest, as already written a minimum of a week, nothing else - certainly no rehouse.
Which substrate do you use? Is it wet or dry?
A photo of the overall situation would be helpful. In new situations, tarantulas like to remain in one position, this is not uncommon and may have nothing to do with the substrate...

TaraJoela

Arachnopeon
It is not uncommon for tarantulas to climb the walls or otherwise avoid the substrate after a rehousing. I think it is a safety factor for them as they don’t know what is down there and it is a new environment for them.

Also the substrate may feel different.

And as was stated, it is best to leave tarantulas alone during and after a molt while their exoskeleton hardens.

Hold off on feeding as it’s fangs need to harden. The delay in feeding varies on the age/ life stage of the tarantula as younger ones can harden quicker.

What size is your T and feel free to post a picture or two of it and it’s enclosure.
Hey DustyD, Thank you the information. next time I"ll make sure that her exoskeleton hardens before I rehouse her. I was just so amazed at how big she grew from her a tiny sling to with brown colora to a real fireleg color with added size and I feel like I had to rehouse her to a larger container. I attached pictures here. And again, thank you guys as a newbie in the hobby, this site really helps and with other keepers sharing their knowledge it'll really help me become a good keeper as well.

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Hey DustyD, Thank you the information. next time I"ll make sure that her exoskeleton hardens before I rehouse her. I was just so amazed at how big she grew from her a tiny sling to with brown colora to a real fireleg color with added size and I feel like I had to rehouse her to a larger container. I attached pictures here. And again, thank you guys as a newbie in the hobby, this site really helps and with other keepers sharing their knowledge it'll really help me become a good keeper as well.
First sight: everything looks fine. Give it time and leave it alone.

TaraJoela

Arachnopeon
I hope it is a small sling and not a big animal... After a molt the animal only needs rest, as already written a minimum of a week, nothing else - certainly no rehouse.
Which substrate do you use? Is it wet or dry?
A photo of the overall situation would be helpful. In new situations, tarantulas like to remain in one position, this is not uncommon and may have nothing to do with the substrate...
Hey 8 legged, thank you for the information, I attached a picture, I'm using a dry substrate for her with a little water dish, she's a sling when I got her, brown sling before molting, her color is now a real fire leg coloration since rehousing she's always on that little hide I made for her

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you haven’t read enough- this has been widely discussed for over a decade

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the Wonderful Tarantulas. A Great choice you Made. I see you're from the Philippines and New to the Hobby. I am Glad your getting Advice. Some People on here are Rude and Judgemental, and Maybe have an Arachnogod Complex but don't let that stop you from Getting Good Advice Here. Ive been Keeping Tarantulas for almost 40 years and there is No Better Forum than This One.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
It looks the same as mine when I first got it
E615D3F9-736C-460F-B4A3-5E1025F79CCB.jpeg
there she is at 2 inches😂
but yeah give it a week or 2 and she should settle down.
but, if she is still not liking the substrate then it might be too wet
mine would crawl up the side of the enclosure and stay all day because the ground was too wet
but still it is mostly because yours just got rehoused

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
but I don't understand why my Brachypelma Boehmei; that recently molted like a week ago; doesn't like to be in it's substrate, I rehoused my fireleg 2 days after molting,
Rehousing a tarantula is almost always going to lead to aberrant behavior such as climbing on the sides of an enclosure. Relax a bit and give it a few weeks to fully settle in.
does she not like the substrate?
Perhaps the substate is the wrong composition or it is too wet, or not packed down enough in addition to the normal "rehouse behavior"

TaraJoela

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the Wonderful Tarantulas. A Great choice you Made. I see you're from the Philippines and New to the Hobby. I am Glad your getting Advice. Some People on here are Rude and Judgemental, and Maybe have an Arachnogod Complex but don't let that stop you from Getting Good Advice Here. Ive been Keeping Tarantulas for almost 40 years and there is No Better Forum than This One.
Hey TJ, Thank you so much for your warm welcome, yes, I'm from philippines and new to the hobby. I'm glad that I made an account here because I know that I'll learn a lot from other keepers in this forum. And I know that there will be rude people here but at least there's people like you who just want's to help too.