B. boehmei not drinking or eating.

Brachymania

Arachnopeon
I am very worried about my 5 inch B. boehmei. He molted almost 2 months ago and has not eaten anything and has not accepted any water from his dish. He is starting to do what my late Avic avic did before she died. I have had 2 unexplained spider deaths in the past month where they just died. no death curl or anything. They both were freshly molted and refused anything. My room is 82 degrees on average and I keep each cage humid enough based on the care sheets for the individual species. I have no idea what is happening and I do not want to lose another T.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, If you're keeping the substrate moist at all that might be part of the trouble. I keep mine completely dry but with a fairly large water dish that's kept full at all times and they do good. Good luck. I hope you get it worked out. You didn't state whether it's a MM so can't say whether that has anything to do with it's behavior. Terry

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd be interested to know how you know it's a male.

I'd also like to know where you got the caresheets you're following.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I am very worried about my 5 inch B. boehmei. He molted almost 2 months ago and has not eaten anything and has not accepted any water from his dish. He is starting to do what my late Avic avic did before she died. I have had 2 unexplained spider deaths in the past month where they just died. no death curl or anything. They both were freshly molted and refused anything. My room is 82 degrees on average and I keep each cage humid enough based on the care sheets for the individual species. I have no idea what is happening and I do not want to lose another T.
Any pesticide sprayings in the house or around it?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, If you're keeping the substrate moist at all that might be part of the trouble. I keep mine completely dry but with a fairly large water dish that's kept full at all times and they do good. Good luck. I hope you get it worked out. You didn't state whether it's a MM so can't say whether that has anything to do with it's behavior. Terry
he didn't specifically state moist substrate only "humid enough". however, i think my bohemei would be rightly annoyed if he was kept overly humid.

i'd like to know what exactly is on this caresheet as well, or about how you are keeping your bohemei before saying "MM!".

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could you post a picture of your boehmei's setup?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
On the matter of humidity, I suggest looking at the very informative post (#29) by Stan Schultz in this thread.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
he didn't specifically state moist substrate only "humid enough". however, i think my bohemei would be rightly annoyed if he was kept overly humid.

i'd like to know what exactly is on this caresheet as well, or about how you are keeping your bohemei before saying "MM!".
M'robot, Whoah! Missed this yesterday but glad I caught it. {D

First off, just about everyone with a little time keeping or on the board realizes that the humidity percentages given in many of the online caresheets are mostly subjective. So, while he didn't exactly say that he kept it moist, he might be misting a little more frequently than usual to attain the given percentages- such scenarios have been posted over and over at different times on this board.

I can guarantee you one thing, while I might not know much about sexing t's or breeding, I've probably been keeping them and doing a fairly good job of it since well before you were born. You need to read a little more often before letting the fingers fly- as I have stated in other posts, INCLUDING the above post, how I keep my B boehmei. Btw, Your question makes no sense. What does me mentioning MM have to do with how I keep my B boehmei? He did mention "him" and 5". In light of the various measuring techniques it's undoubtedly near mature if not. Pshhh...talk about tag along NOOB antagonists! :rolleyes:

Op, hope you figure out what's causing the problem. :)

Terry

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my apologies terry, i was actually in agreement with you, hence me adding the bit about my own. sometimes i parse down my replies (especially if i am replying in between work), and it changes the tone of what i mean. internet is wonderful like that, isn't it?

i was simply stating while the OP did not specifically say moist substrate, i was agreeing with you if kept on it or too humid my bohemei has acted strangely as well. and yes, i have messed with humidity levels with that particular T.

the second part was in regards to OP. OP called the T "he". i was pretty much restating what joe said as far as wanting to know about the caresheet and how OP knew the T was male.

i cannot edit my original reply any longer or delete it. while my reply was redundant yes, i'll give it that. as to your jabs about not only my experience level and competency, i find those quite offensive and unnwarrented. as well as remarking about my age and the name calling. you have no idea about any of those without me explicitly stating information about them. you need to take it a little more easy there, i wasn't questioning your knowlege, just restating questions asked to the OP ;)

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
M'robot, I thought about it today at work and felt my reply seemed a little harsh. Sorry about that. :eek: It wasn't intended to be taken maliciously, hence the {D icon at the very begining. Just giving you a little poke.

I'll be the first to admit that I live in a glass house when it comes to some aspects of Theraphosid husbandry and have never denied that. I've got so many other irons in the fire that I have little time to study more in depth like I'd like. I'm rather noobish myself when it comes to tropicals but have kept temperates such as A hentzi along with various other tropical animals over the years and have a pretty good "feel" for keeping new things. I've certainly made my mistakes as just about anyone else.

Furthermore and not that you care, but you'd be mistaken if you thought I had little respect for you. I remember back when you first began posting- trying to straighten things up in the arachnid dept of the pet shop where you work. That's awesome! :worship: Again, I was just razzin ya back after your reply. :p

Op, Sorry for bungling your thread to hell and back. I hope everything works out for your male B boehmei. Mine climbed more, kicked more, and fed less during periods when they were flipping warterdishes and/or I was misting more often trying to keep the sub slightly moist- this mostly when they were slings. I believe bone dry with a full waterdish is the key. I also keep them on the lower shelf where it's not quite as warm as the top where I keep L klugi, A geniculata and slings. I'm in the middle of taking out an old shelf and replacing so I'll have more room. Good luck. Cheers, Terry

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any pesticide sprayings in the house or around it?
My first thought as well. Also, any change in cleaning products? There are many household chemicals that contain insecticides/pesticides that you wouldn't think would.