B. boehmei hanging on walls

martafajla

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I just got a Brachypelma boehmei. This is my first T and I'm wondering why is it hanging on the walls of the critter keeper. The substrate isn't moist and there is a water dish. The room is pretty warm and dry. Here are some pictures.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest getting a bigger enclosure. That is not a good setup for a spider that size. You will also need more substrate then a few inches.

Get a 5.5 gallon or 10g and fill at LEAST halfway up with substrate (to reduce injury from a fall). Provide a hide such as a flower pot and a large shallow water dish.

It is also probably wandering around and climbing because it is getting used to it's new home.

Good luck.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You will also need more substrate then a few inches.

It is also probably wandering around and climbing because it is getting used to it's new home.

Good luck.
both things i was going to say. also, mine wandered a little before acclimating. actually, i think he was one of the ones that took the longest to acclimate, now that i'm thinking about it.

martafajla

Arachnopeon
Well the T is only about 2.4 inches so I thought this would be fine. The additional substrate is currently drying and will be added tomorrow along with a hide.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
The enclosure looks big enough to me if she/he is only 2" but it's kind of hard to tell by the pictures. What are the measurements of the enclosure? I would definitely add more sub though. I fill my kritter keepers about 3/4 way full. Some ts take weeks to settle in. I think most of my new ones have spent some time on the walls until they settled in.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I agree that the kritter keeper is a good size, but you need to fill it up at least half full so it has room to burrow.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The enclosure is big enough for now.
Even a 5.5 gallon is overkill for a 2.4" spider, IMO.

Glad you're adding sub, she'll probably continue to crawl around like that for the next while, until she settles. Even after she does, she'll still do it occasionally, so don't skimp on the sub!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, didn't realize that was a bottle cap in there, so I didn't see how small it was. Just add some more substrate and you'll be fine :)

martafajla

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help. I was wondering how to get him off the wall so that I can get him out and add the substrate

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the help. I was wondering how to get him off the wall so that I can get him out and add the substrate
Use a cup. Deli cup, kitchen cup... and then use a paintbrush/straw to coax him into it. Add the substrate, then coax him out of the cup and back into the enclosure.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I often use cricket tubs to capture them. Its fairly easy when they are on flat surfaces like that, just confidentally put the tub over the T and slowly slide the lid underneath.
If you do so from an angle starting at the bottom, you may find it walks out the enclosure which shouldnt be a worry. Brachypelma don't tend to run off for long distances so it will probably climb out the enclosure and stop giving you time to put more substrate in and then retub the T to place back in the enclosure.
Do this in an open area, like a kitchen or outside so you know it doesnt have access to an annoying hide spot.